TF-100 Test Kit - CYA Test Old?

sagosto

May 28, 2019
Mahwah, NJ
I opened my pool last week and my 3 year old TF-100 Test Kit test kit read nearly 0 for CYA. I took a water sample to Leslie and the other tests such as PH/ALK/FC/etc. closely match my test kit but CYA was nearly 0 for me and 36 for Leslie. I know Leslie (like others) are notoriously inaccurate. Is there an expiration date on the tests?

Generally the test reagents should be replaced at least every two years. Some may not last quite that long, others longer. The R0013 reagent for the CYA is especially stable. So unless you have let the reagent freeze, it will be good.

Generally the test reagents should be replaced at least every two years. Some may not last quite that long, others longer. The R0013 reagent for the CYA is especially stable. So unless you have let the reagent freeze, it will be good.

I store it in the a temperature controlled area throughout the year. I cannot explain the difference between the 2 tests. I'd be more inclined to believe my test except it was literally 20 or less. The entire tube was clear...

Likely correct. In your area, with winterization, it is not unusual to open to low or no CYA due to snow melt, rain, and general degradation of CYA over the winter.

I would suggest you order a complete refill set from TFTestkits.net.

We don't think it's a good idea to go 3 years with any of the tests. That said, the CYA test is completely inert and really doesn't go bad. You CYA is almost surely ZERO.

Pool Store testing is horrible and misleading.......stay out of the pool store!

Try this - add enough CYA to your pool to make a 20 ppm increase. Then test your CYA in 24-48 hours. Report what you get.

Reactions: sagosto
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.