Silver Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Nassau County, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
For the last several seasons, I have been performing the SLAM at pool opening but this is the first time that I have been getting erratic results from the chlorine drop test. Specifically, after adding a scoop of the R-0870 powder to 10 ml of pool water and mixing, I put in R-0871 solution a drop at time. What follows is incomprehensible to me. Not only has the solution which was dark pink to begin with, each subsequent drop only darkens the solution further until it is darkest maroon. I have gone as high as 40 drops of R-0871 with no lightening of the solution. I haven’t added anything else to the pool yet as the pool has just been opened. Any help would be greatly appreciated because my husband thinks I am losing my mind!

Thank-you for your quick reply, mknauss. I have been using the TF-100 test kit for years and I believe I am following the instructions carefully. I have done this test several times a day for 4 days and I got expected results, meaning I got a number indication I needed to add chlorine. I’m stumped.

As a sanity check, use the comparator block (TC and pH) and the R-0600 reagent to check chlorine. What color does that test indicate?

Reactions: mknauss
Yes I used the OTO 3 way test kit that came with TF-100 that I bought last month from TFtestkits and the color was orange
If you bought the test kit from tftestkits last month, the reagents are fresh.

When doing the FAS-DPD test prior to the recent weird results, did it seem to work correctly?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you very much, proavia, but don’t spend too much time trying to help. It’s midnight in NY so I’ll check for any answers tomorrow morning!
No worries- get some rest. You can check further responses tomorrow.

Post a picture of the two reagents you are using for the FAS-DPD test.

Good morning! Bperry and proavia, I have attached photos of the test I just did. This time, the test produced normal results. The pink solution turned to clear after 14 drops, so a chlorine reading of 7. I’ll add 3 quarts of chlorine to reach the target SLAM level of 10. I wonder what I did wrong yesterday when the tube kept turning darker with each drop. Thank you proavia, Bperry and mknauss for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_4985.jpeg
    IMG_4985.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4986.jpeg
    IMG_4986.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4984.jpeg
    IMG_4984.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: proavia and Bperry
Great - so you know what the tests should look like.
Anytime you get an odd result, clean the test vial with rubbing alcohol, double checking you are using the correct reagents and re-run the test.