TF-100 Results and Cloudy Water

mikewalsh720

Gold Supporter
May 27, 2020
Central Ohio
Happy Saturday Everyone,

My wife and I just installed a 18' x 33' semi aboveground saltwater pool. Recently we have been getting cloudy water. Not sure if it's related, but we can also see tiny bubbles coming from the return jet and every once in a while it sputters loudly. I decided to make a post because I am unsure to as if our cloudy water is equipment related or water balancing related. The first thing we did was test our water with the TF-100 test kit and Taylor Saltwater Tester, here are our results:
  • Total Chlorine: 6 ppm (FC: 6 ppm, CC: 0)
  • pH: 7.5 (calibrated electronic tester)
  • Calcium Hardness: 425 ppm
  • Total Alkalinity: 180
  • CYA: 30 (closest to 30 in CYA View Tube)
  • Salt: 3600 ppm
My wife thinks that the Total Alkalinity is probably the issue, but curious if this could be caused by air in the filter or pump? We have an Aquapro 24 inch sand filter, 2 hp pump, and Hayward Aqua Trol SWG. We have been running the pump on high for 8 hrs a day and low for the rest. It is 14,000 gallons.

Well first off your CYA is on the low side for a SWG pool check this chart: FC/CYA Levels Also you might want to see how much Chlorine you loose at night with the SWG off. I bet you are in the beginning of a algae bloom and the SWG is just keeping you from going green. Check this Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If you are going through a lot of Chl at night you are going to need to SLAM Process

BTW, welcome to the Forum Since you already have a TFTestKit.. have your read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry?

Welcome to TFP and congrats on your new pool!

I doubt your TA has anything to do with the cloudiness. The noise and bubbles could be a suction side air leak or your water level is too low. It's normal with SWG to get bubbles in the returns at times but they're pretty small and don't cause pump noise because the are generated after the pump.

Salt pools work a lot better with CYA in the 70 ppm range. I'd add the amount calculated by Pool Math. Just put it in a sock and leave in the skimmer or hanging over the side. Squeeze it a couple times per day and it'll dissolve in 2 days.

I agree with Mguzzy's logic and recommendation. Run an OCLT test. Nice thing about TFP methods is we never have to guess and then trial & error with solutions. If you need a SLAM this will tell you unequivicably.

When you say Taylor salt tester do you mean a K1766 test kit?

Again, welcome aboard!

Chris

Thanks for the quick info! I have had to add so much CYA since we got this pool, guess I'll go buy some more! Is there a brand you recommend? A place that is cheaper to get it?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP and congrats on your new pool!

I doubt your TA has anything to do with the cloudiness. The noise and bubbles could be a suction side air leak or your water level is too low. It's normal with SWG to get bubbles in the returns at times but they're pretty small and don't cause pump noise because the are generated after the pump.

Salt pools work a lot better with CYA in the 70 ppm range. I'd add the amount calculated by Pool Math. Just put it in a sock and leave in the skimmer or hanging over the side. Squeeze it a couple times per day and it'll dissolve in 2 days.

I agree with Mguzzy's logic and recommendation. Run an OCLT test. Nice thing about TFP methods is we never have to guess and then trial & error with solutions. If you need a SLAM this will tell you unequivicably.

When you say Taylor salt tester do you mean a K1766 test kit?

Again, welcome aboard!

Chris
Well first off your CYA is on the low side for a SWG pool check this chart: FC/CYA Levels Also you might want to see how much Chlorine you loose at night with the SWG off. I bet you are in the beginning of a algae bloom and the SWG is just keeping you from going green. Check this Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If you are going through a lot of Chl at night you are going to need to SLAM Process

BTW, welcome to the Forum Since you already have a TFTestKit.. have your read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry?

Thanks for the input! Out chlorine was really high earlier in the week (a 10 on Monday). I keep the chlorinator set to 10% and it still is on the higher end.

I usually by it at Walmart or Amazon. There is a brand, AquaMate, that raises CYA only about 25% of what it should. It’s cheaper, but you end up spending more. I can say HTH brand works as expected.

Please add equipment and model numbers including the swg cell model to your signature. Did you calibrate your pH tester before use?

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure if it's related, but we can also see tiny bubbles coming from the return jet and every once in a while it sputters loudly.
It's not related but it IS indicative of a suction side air leak. What is the psi on your gauge? Pump running, are there bubbles in the pump strainer basket or is it clear and full of water?

Reactions: setsailsoon
About the suction side air leak, I had bubbles coming out on my return also, a month or so ago. Standing by the pump, I could hear it cavatiting but couldn't figure out where the leak was. I took a water hose with a low flow and started going around the pump inlet housing and pump strainer and letting water flow over different areas. As I did that, I could hear the cavitation noise stop. I kept narrowing in and determined my drain plug had a cracked o-ring. If you can hear the air going though the pump, this is a good way to track down the leak.

Yes, I was able to fix the leak by replacing the o-ring. By running water over the location where the air is being sucked in, water from the hose will be sucked in instead, and the noise the pump makes by sucking in air will cease. By moving the water to different location around the pump inlet assembly, I was able to locate where the air was being sucked in. Before I did this, I was sure it was coming from the large interface between the housing that holds the strainer basket and the housing from the pump. I spent a lot of time cleaning and lubing that joint to no avail. Once I ran the water over the drain plug, the air noise in the pump went away. I took the plug out, and the o-ring looked good, but when I investigated further, I noticed the o-ring was actually cracked. I never would have found the leak just by casually looking at the o-ring as it looked fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.