TF-100 Alkalinity Test Not Turning Red

Robbo

May 30, 2010
Just North of Toronto
Hello, I have used the TF-100 test kits for many years thanks to everyone here. I got fresh refills for my TF-100 a few months ago. I just opened my pool on the weekend and for some reason, the TA test does not turn red. When I mix the R0007 and R0008 it turns green but as I add the R0009 it never turns red. It gets a dull yellow but never red. This has never happened to me before through many TF-100 refills that I purchased over the years. Any ideas?

11 shouldn't be a problem unless the R-0007 (chlorine neutralizer) is bad.

Usually, the fc has to be about 20 before the color goes blue--> yellow instead of green --> red.

Try 3 drops of R-0007 if the fc is over 10.

So I tested again and same results. It does change more blueish instead of green and adding 3 drops of R007 vs 2 made no difference.

Here are the numbers

Ph 7.2
FC 8
CYA 40 (but just added the first batch on Sat and I just added a little more today to get up to 50)

Maybe get new R-0007. That's the chlorine neutralizer. If it's not neutralizing the chlorine, the colors will be off.

Maybe the R-0871 is bad. If the chlorine is higher than 20, the colors will be off. I would suggest trying a new bottle.

Did the reagents get hot or cold or left in the sun?

Maybe get new R-0007. That's the chlorine neutralizer. If it's not neutralizing the chlorine, the colors will be off.

Maybe the R-0871 is bad. If the chlorine is higher than 20, the colors will be off. I would suggest trying a new bottle.

Did the reagents get hot or cold or left in the sun?

They were always stored indoors. However now that you mention it, I am using up my older bottle of R-0871. I’ll try with the newer bottle tonight

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I reached out to TFT TESTKITS folks and Rebecca suggested I test my tap water. I never thought of that but the TA test works on my tap water and it’s alkalinity is 110.

I tested my FC again and it’s 6.5 and CC is 0.5. So what else besides high FC could affect the TA test? I added some algaecide a week ago and I have some trichlormpucks in the skimmer and have added some liquid chlorine as my SWG never produces chlorine when the water is too cold. I also added a small amount ph+ product as my ph was a little low

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.