TF-100 alkalinity confusion!! PLEASE HELP!

thefloatqueen

Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I’m testing for the TA and as soon as the sample turned green, I began dropping the R-009, swirling, cleaning off cap, and I’m seeing tiny pink drops when I first started dropping the R-009 solution but water stayed green. 22 drops later the bottle is pink. Does this count as “red”? What am I doing wrong?! It is raining and I don’t have chemicals in the pool yet if that helps. Chlorine level is 0 and I’m getting somewhere between 7.5 and 7.8 pH readings. This TA is so frustrating!! I don’t want to keep dropping it until I run out! Ahhhhh this pool is going to be the death of me lol HELPPPP please! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Put chlorine in. That's what's important. And CYA. See FC/CYA Levels

Don't worry about TA for the moment, but if you must...

What happened between drop 22 and 30? It can turn pink, but the next drop usually goes to actual red. Add another drop and it won't change, then you disregard that last drop that didn't do anything.

So I should go with 22 when the entire bottle turned light pink? Or the initial couple drops that were pink before I started to swirl? Should I just shock the d*mn pool and try this again tomorrow since we are getting some light on and off rain?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also in the beginning after each drop, wipe, and swirl, it started to turn pink at the bottom of the plastic cylinder but green above that despite the swirling. Talk about frustrating to say the least...

When the entire testing sample is not green after swirling. Green to red/pink is a major color change.

Also in the beginning after each drop, wipe, and swirl, it started to turn pink at the bottom of the plastic cylinder but green above that despite the swirling. Talk about frustrating to say the least...

You need the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer

Reactions: thefloatqueen
TA only affects pH and your pH is good and doesn’t need to be adjusted. Call TA whatever you want and move on.

Fix your CYA and CL.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
I have all the chemicals from pool school minus the calcium increaser. I forgot that. I have 64 gallons of regular (no scent, not splashless) bleach as well as chlorine granules (see photos).

Attachments

• 09E342E6-1DC7-40CD-B618-41979059FD8B.jpeg
    09E342E6-1DC7-40CD-B618-41979059FD8B.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 8D8C521A-DE0D-4DD2-89D2-B32CF82DA727.jpeg
    8D8C521A-DE0D-4DD2-89D2-B32CF82DA727.jpeg
    496.4 KB · Views: 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.