Texas Saltwater LX Semi Inground

May 15, 2018
Jefferson, TX
First time pool owner from Texas. Want to first thank all of you for this forum. I’ve been reading for weeks and wouldn’t feel confident to do this myself without the forum. This pool build will be almost all DIY except for the initial dirt work. Bought a 30’x54” Saltwater LX from the Pool Factory yesterday. Excited to take on this new project. First question I have for the forum that I can’t find is about bonding. The plan is to do semi in-ground. Will I still need to bond the uprights?

There is quite a bit of discussion about bonding pools on the forum, but a quick answer to your question is yes you still need to bond the conductive parts of your pool frame and all of the rest of the parts that go into a bonding system.

Dirt guy should be here in the next few days.

Got a few questions. Im doing a deep spot in the pool. The natural soil in my yard is sand. I’m considering putting a foam floor under the liner. Do I need more sand brought in?

Also I bought wall foam but not sure if I need it or not. Some have said it actually increases the chance of punctures. ?

We love the wall foam. If I replace the liner someday I might put a second layer around the wall.

We have compacted aglime under our foam. It the ground is level and stable I don't see why you would bring in more sand.

Our floor is completely flat. With a deep spot you may have issues holding the panels together/cutting panels unless you're talking a few inches... Thirty feet is a big pool. You can glue the tongue and groove and then triple tape it with Gorilla tape. Take your time and make sure the panels are tight with no wiggle room. Fill in any gaps. We put a black felt liner on top and you cannot feel the tape at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the ground level with the paver blocks. Still wondering if I needed it to be 3" and found where thepoolfactory [FONT=&quot]recommends a 3-4″ sand base (wall to wall), the liner pad on top of the sand, and the foam cove on top of the pad around the perimeter. If that's the case, I'm about to have to move A LOT more dirt. Was hoping to have just the level ground and then the foam mats on top. Any advice?[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

Could I just add 3" of sand around the inside edge of the wall for a couple of feet and slope it ?

The sand gives you a smooth level base under the liner. Using foam also does the same thing. 1" thick foam would take the place of 1-2" of sand.

What kind of foam did you get for under the liner?
The sand also raises the height of the ground around the bottom of the wall. There needs to be enough here to keep the liner from being pushed out under the wall. Normally this would be done with a tapered wedge of sand up against the bottom of the wall. The foam coving you bought takes the place of the sand wedge albeit maybe not as well.

Be very careful not to leave and voids or air pockets under your foam especially at the seems where the edges of the foam meet up. The weight of the water will push the liner into those voids and leave you with a large divot or possibly a burst liner.

The sand gives you a smooth level base under the liner. Using foam also does the same thing. 1" thick foam would take the place of 1-2" of sand.

What kind of foam did you get for under the liner?
The sand also raises the height of the ground around the bottom of the wall. There needs to be enough here to keep the liner from being pushed out under the wall. Normally this would be done with a tapered wedge of sand up against the bottom of the wall. The foam coving you bought takes the place of the sand wedge albeit maybe not as well.

Be very careful not to leave and voids or air pockets under your foam especially at the seems where the edges of the foam meet up. The weight of the water will push the liner into those voids and leave you with a large divot or possibly a burst liner.

I got the interlocking mats from Harbor Freight. Will be more work, but I read too many posts about voids in between the straight edge mats to feel comfortable doing that. Also bought some wider and taller foam cove that what I intially purchased to hopefully avoid the liner problem where it meets the wall.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah and the sticky on the cove is basically unmovable so place carefully...what I had anyway. Your place looks awesome!

Thanks for the tip! I'll add that to my "Don't screw this up" list. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.