Texas Freeze...Epoxy to fix slightly cracked 3-way Valve?

Jeffnhelen

Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2018
Central Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
After looking at some of the damages fellow Texans have shared on here, I first want to say I'm glad everyone is well enough after that ordeal to be able to reach out to the community for help as I'm sure there are worse things we all could be dealing with. I know I have "lucked out" with what appears to be the singular result of the big freeze:

I only noticed after testing everything out this morning. The crack itself is so inconspicuous, only putting it under enough load to run the waterfall alone, caused it to reveal itself. My question is since the crack runs from the side-port to the screw boss, can I just glue a 2-1/2 coupler over the port end/elbow and then use epoxy to help close the crack from there to the screw boss?
My other course of action would be to cut it out and, either use couplers to put a new one in, or my preference would be to put some 2" unions in for the odd-case that something like this happens again. If I go that route then I will most likely put unions around the other 3-way for the same reason...and to retain the symmetry :)

Last edited:
Lots of folks will be trying epoxy fixes with all this. Some will work like a champ. Some of those will blow at 2 AM and the owner will waltz out the front door on the way to work not knowing about the backyard flood. Especially in the off season, that kind of thing could go unnoticed until there was a basement full of water or something else substantially bad.

if you are handy the pvc is dirt cheap. The valves are cheap too for the peace of mind they would bring
My $.02.
keep us posted :)

Lots of folks will be trying epoxy fixes with all this. Some will work like a champ. Some of those will blow at 2 AM and the owner will waltz out the front door on the way to work not knowing about the backyard flood. Especially in the off season, that kind of thing could go unnoticed until there was a basement full of water or something else substantially bad.

if you are handy the pvc is dirt cheap. The valves are cheap too for the peace of mind they would bring
My $.02.
keep us posted :)

Oh believe me, I know this is a band-aid, but since it is only the valve that controls which water feature to turn on (waterfall or beach fountains) and not the main valve that diverts to returns or features (top valve in pic), then I feel more comfortable being able to keep eyes on something that is only going to be run for an hour or two while we are actually swimming. On the flip-side, I have done plenty of PVC work throughout my build...so much so, that I'm not looking forward to cutting into my plumbing again :p However, Pentair was kind enough to help me stock-pile some extra parts when I was troubleshooting an issue with them, so I really don't have an excuse on that front:

but since it is only the valve that controls which water feature to turn on (waterfall or beach fountains) and not the main valve that diverts to returns or features (top valve in pic), then I feel more comfortable being able to keep eyes on something that is only going to be run for an hour or two while we are actually swimming
Ok this helps ALOT. Alot alot. But it’s still a band aid and you not only know in your heart what you need to do....... you have the ability to do it and some free parts to help.

So I’d like to change my answer to : it can wait but I just wouldn’t use the features if it takes a month to have the time. Run the features every few days just long enough to clean out the stagnant water.

You could sell those I bet right now if you wish -----

:) True! But, two of them I removed from the monstrosity that the pool builder made of my plumbing and were my attempt at removing glued pipes, so they have seen better days and not something I would feel comfortable selling. If I use one of the new ones to repair my broken one like Newdude is "pressuring" me to :) then I'll really only have one good/clean one. Unless parts supply gets really crazy and someone is in need, then I think I'll hold onto the last one to see what happens next winter 🤞

If I use one of the new ones to repair my broken one like Newdude is "pressuring" me to :)
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You knew what answer you’d get. You know you knew. You came to an enthusiast site looking for the easy answer.

You needed a reason to go through the trouble. If you honestly wanted the easy way out answer you would have asked it at backyardrednecks.com and not here. :)

(also I consider it an honor to tell you what you already knew. I may need you to return the favor one day. Pull no punches and lay it on me)

• Haha
Reactions: Jeffnhelen
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.