Texas First Time Pool Owner, New Pool, Tap and Pool Water Test Results

Wow, big difference in that pH and TA from before. At least now you're in a manageable range. Try to keep the pH between 7.6 - 7.8 and be vigilant about the FC to avoid algae. It should never be lower than 3 ppm not to mention zero. Is the water still crystal clear?

Reactions: tfp_fan
Wow, big difference in that pH and TA from before. At least now you're in a manageable range. Try to keep the pH between 7.6 - 7.8 and be vigilant about the FC to avoid algae. It should never be lower than 3 ppm not to mention zero. Is the water still crystal clear?
Thank you, @Texas Splash and @mknauss , for your great comments. To reduce pH to 7.8 and increase FC to 3, I followed the Pool Math suggestions and added 13 oz of Acid and 80 oz of liquid chlorine. I also turned on the SWG for the first time. First, I selected 2% for the cell output (the first LED is blinking). But, I thought it might not be correct. I was wondering which percentage I should select for the cell output? I downloaded SWG Calculater spreadsheet from this post: SWG Run Time Calculator and entered my pool and spa size (12750 gallons), Average 24 Hr FC Demand (3.0 ppm), and 24-Hr SWG FC Production (1.4 lbs). The calculator showed me I would need 269.7 hours if I selected 2% for the SWG output. According to the SWG Run Time Chart, I should select 50% for SWG output to achieve 3 PPM FC (my pump runs from 8:00 AM to 7:00 pm, i.e. 11 hours). Please correct me if I am wrong.
Also, the IC40 manual says "When an IntelliChlor is connected to an IntelliTouch®,EasyTouch® or SunTouch®Control System, the Less and More buttons are disabled and IntelliChlor SCG Sanitizer Output is controlled externally." I have IntelliCenter, but I only can control SWG by pressing the buttons on it. I am wondering if the SWG can be controlled by the Pentair app? I can control everything using the app but not SWG (I don't see SWG on my app).

Attachments

• SWG.jpg
    SWG.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 3
Marty will have to help you wiht the control panel adjustments, but I would probably start the SWG at about 50% until you get a good feel for FC production. Looks like you used an old SWG calculator spreadsheet, but (FYI) the PoolMath APP will do the same thing for you. Just go to "Effects of Adding", select SWG, and you can manipulate the % output, run time, amount FC required, etc to determine the best combination to use. In the meantime, be sure to not let the FC fall below 3-4 ppm at any time. Add liquid chlorine if needed to avoid algae until you are confident with the SWG's FC production.

Reactions: tfp_fan
Is your SWCG power center integral to your Intellicenter? Check to be sure you have Enabled the SWCG in the Intellicenter programming.

Hello @Texas Splash. Please see my new test results. Based on the test result, I just added acid to reduce pH to 7 in order to lower TA (which is currently 100). I have spa waterfall to aerate and increase pH again.
About the FC: Although the output of the SWG is 80% and the pump runs for 11 hours every day, FC is 2 (which is lower than 3). I guess it is because of the low CYA (it is 20). I am wondering how to add the stabilizer? Sock method? Haven't done it before and not sure the correct way.
Also the CH is 625. Although it is in the recommended range (between 250 and 650), the Pool Math suggests "Replace 30% by volume of the pool's water to reach the target". I am wondering how important it is? and if I should really do it?

Attachments

• IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 3
Good job. :goodjob: You are correct in lowering the pH to eventually lower the TA. You can do that until the TA gets to about 50 but no lower. Now that we know your CH is on the high end, it's even that much more important to control the pH to prevent scale. Take note of the "CSI" number on your test log and try to keep it close to neutral or slightly below. As for the FC and CYA, correct again. Definitely increase the FC with liquid chlorine now though, don't wait for the SWG. Be sure to increase the CYA to about 70. Below should help.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.