Testing with a TF 100 correctly

May 7, 2018
Schaumburg
I'm really trying to make sure I'm testing my water correctly but I'm not always confident in my ability especially with testing CH. When I add the three drops of R-0011L it turn more pink the red. Is this still a positive test? My assumption is yes therefore I add the drops of R-0012 until it turns blue but I will get a purple tint so it's this considered blue or should I keep adding R-0012? My assumption would be to add until blue. However today when I was adding it was blue but I could see pink molecules floating. Do I add more or do my calculations from there?

I also have a aboveground vinyl pool so CH is not really important, but I just added a heater and I heard with the heater i need to check for it so it doesn't hurt the heater.

Any clarification appreciated

Here is a photo to show what I was talking about
6ba76bce8bae4e50ba102c134c90e7ed.jpg

Pool School - Calcium Hardness

Read through the above. It discusses all your questions.

Also, be sure to let the color develop as you approach the end of the test. A SpeedStir is really helpful as it can take 10-15 seconds for the color to develop after adding a drop of reagent.

Precipitate like you describe tends to be a reaction to metals in the water. Copper is the most common cause, but I see Frog listed so it could be silver from that. To correct this follow the "fading endpoint" instructions in the Pool School article Marty listed.

The sample may turn purple during the test, or go to blue for a moment and then turn back to red/pink. This is called a "fading endpoint" and is caused by interference from metal ions. If this happens, do the test again, but this time add five drops of R-0012 before adding any R-0010 or R-0011L. Remember to count the initial five drops in the total.

Precipitate like you describe tends to be a reaction to metals in the water. Copper is the most common cause, but I see Frog listed so it could be silver from that. To correct this follow the "fading endpoint" instructions in the Pool School article Marty listed.
I knew that frogger system was going to get me, but my husband took care of the pool last year since I had hip surgery and insisted that is all he used. However since I found this forum I was not planning to use it but he insisted. I hope this will prove to him not to use it. Is there a test I can get to test for metals in my pool? I am worried they might be high.

The heater manual may state how high to keep CH. You will have to take a sample to a pool store for the metals test. What brand and model of heater do you have?

EDIT: When I click the link it goes to Pool School Calcium Hardness. Try it again and let me know if it takes you to the right post.

The heater manual may state how high to keep CH. You will have to take a sample to a pool store for the metals test. What brand and model of heater do you have?

EDIT: When I click the link it goes to Pool School Calcium Hardness. Try it again and let me know if it takes you to the right post.
Here is a picture of what I get when I click on it.
0f6f9da17cc592f6976a3ea19d29b311.jpg

My heater is Reheem 150k btu heater. I looked over the manual and didn't see CH listed, but it did say to never have my FC above 5ppm which I just learned is an old standard based off no CYA. My CYA is 70 so I'm not sure how much of the manual to believe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the link must be an issue with mobile users. I'll alert our admin and see if he can fix it. Meanwhile, in your menu browser on the Home page under Pool School tap on Extended Test Kit Directions, then select Calcium Hardness and you will get the information Marty was trying to direct you to.

EDIT: Weird, I just tried the link on my phone and it went to the Calcium article. Jive, were you on a phone/tablet and what browser did you use?

I think the link must be an issue with mobile users. I'll alert our admin and see if he can fix it. Meanwhile, in your menu browser on the Home page under Pool School tap on Extended Test Kit Directions, then select Calcium Hardness and you will get the information Marty was trying to direct you to.

EDIT: Weird, I just tried the link on my phone and it went to the Calcium article. Jive, were you on a phone/tablet and what browser did you use?
I am on my phone and just an FYI I read almost all of the threads and I have never been able to click on a link and it takes we to the correct link

Which phone do your have? I have an Iphone 6, using Chrome and Safari browsers and I have not had this problem. I have to leave for a bit but we'll see if we can get this figured out.

It seems that tapatalk is the problem. I asked a few folks to try on their phones and 4 out of 5 using tapatalk had it go the the bleach thread. I don't use tapatalk, I just go to the regular website on my phone.

It seems that tapatalk is the problem. I asked a few folks to try on their phones and 4 out of 5 using tapatalk had it go the the bleach thread. I don't use tapatalk, I just go to the regular website on my phone.

You might might have fixed the problem. Just noting that I am using Tapatalk and the link took me to the calcium hardness article—

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.