Testing TA

Hi,
I am not clear on the TA Testing. The color will change to blue at 9 drops of the R-0009. Is this my TA value or do I need to keep going until it shifts to yellow? I am not sure which color change I am looking for per the instructions. I have never had a shift from green to red. I am using the Taylor Speed stir to mix chemicals.
Here are this morning's Test results
FC 4
cc .5
PH 8.2
CYA 60
TA shifts to blue at 90 Shifts from blue to yellow at 210.

Thanks so much for your time,
dana

Normally the TA test goes from green to pink. Don't ask me why they say red. If Chlorine is high, it can go from blue to yellow. Any shade in between is fine. The key is a distinct color change from blue-green to pink or yellow.

Does yours start out green?

The way it sounds is that it changes hue at 9 drops but doesn't change to yellow until 21 drops. Is that correct? Does the yellow get more intense with a 22nd drop?

Anyway, your TA is probably 210 or 220 and your pH is likely off the top of scale. All you can do is plug your numbers into poolmath, add the acid, and give it time to mix and work. Half an hour is plenty, especially if you brush some. Then repeat the tests and see if pH is in range. If not, add the amount of acid to get to 7.2 again. Keep repeating it until the pH is somewhere on the scale.

Hi, thanks so much for the quick response. In response to your questions the test does start Green, shifts to blue at 9 drops and then yellow at 21 drops. Yes the yellow gets more intense at 22 drops. Should I just run the filter pump (no chorine generator) when I add it in? or doesn't it matter?

Do your instructions still apply based on response? Thank you so very much.
dana

Mine goes from green to pink at 50, then I add another drop and it turns bright pink at TA 60, add yet another drop and suddenly its BARBIE PINK!!!!! Additional drops don't make it any more pink than that, so I know my TA is 70.

Does that help at all??

Maddie :flower:

Thanks for your reply, not really! SORRY! Mine goes from Dark Green to a very obvious blue then to yellow and the yellow gets more intense after the additional drop. So I am guessing the color change I am looking for is Yellow. Thanks so much for your time. I really appreciate everyone on this forum.
dana

Anyway, your TA is probably 210 or 220 and your pH is likely off the top of scale. All you can do is plug your numbers into poolmath, add the acid, and give it time to mix and work. Half an hour is plenty, especially if you brush some. Then repeat the tests and see if pH is in range. If not, add the amount of acid to get to 7.2 again. Keep repeating it until the pH is somewhere on the scale.

Hi Richard320, thanks again for your input. I added 16oz of Muriatic Acid per pool math to start. I added it in the return jet. I also brushed around the pool. Retesting 30 minutes later brought the PH down to 7.2, but the TA is still 220. Is that okay? Please advise.
Thanks so much,
dana

Hi Richard320, thanks again for your input. I added 16oz of Muriatic Acid per pool math to start. I added it in the return jet. I also brushed around the pool. Retesting 30 minutes later brought the PH down to 7.2, but the TA is still 220. Is that okay? Please advise.
Thanks so much,
dana
Your TA should have dropped by 19 according to Effects of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of poolmath. So you should have seen at least a one drop difference on the TA tests. But TA is the least critical of all the parameters. Mostly it's useful only to calculate acid doses.

Make sure there's no static buildup of the dropper of the R-009 by wiping it with a damp paper towel before each drop the next time you test.

In the mean time, go swimming :splash:

Your TA should have dropped by 19 according to Effects of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of poolmath. So you should have seen at least a one drop difference on the TA tests. But TA is the least critical of all the parameters. Mostly it's useful only to calculate acid doses.

Make sure there's no static buildup of the dropper of the R-009 by wiping it with a damp paper towel before each drop the next time you test.

In the mean time, go swimming :splash:

Ha! Thanks again. It probably did go down since I didn't keep adding the drops to see if the intensity of the color shift changed in the first test. I did use the damp towel between drops for all the measurements. I guess I will continue to test daily? I also realized my test kit is from last august, so I did just order a refill kit today. not sure if that would have mattered much.

Just to confirm - It sounds I am most concerned with the PH and not the TA?

I think I will crack open a beer and "float" for a bit.
Thanks!
dana

Ha! Thanks again. It probably did go down since I didn't keep adding the drops to see if the intensity of the color shift changed in the first test. I did use the damp towel between drops for all the measurements. I guess I will continue to test daily? I also realized my test kit is from last august, so I did just order a refill kit today. not sure if that would have mattered much.

Just to confirm - It sounds I am most concerned with the PH and not the TA?

I think I will crack open a beer and "float" for a bit.
Thanks!
dana
Exactly. pH is what irritates skin and makes eyes burn and dissolved plaster. TA is dissolved baking soda. People brush their teeth with the stuff! What kind of damage can it do to you?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.