Testing result I do not understand....

The K-1515-A is just a DPD-FAS kit.

And in in response to your earlier posts, the new revisions of Pentair ICs cannot be recalibrated in the field. The older version could but Pentair found too many customers doing it incorrectly and screwing up their cells. Also, the Pentair ICs have an approximate temperature drift of +300ppm/5 deg F. So rain water is really good at chilling out the surface pool water and causing temperature related drift.

Thanks Jason. The only reason I haven't gotten a TF-1000 is because I have enough of all the other reagents for now having stocked up prior to becoming more active here and learning more. Might be a good consideration tho given all the testing going on to ensure sparkyitis ans expand my understanding of the chemistry.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah....very good to know! So one couls assume it would be better to wait a fay or so after significant rainfall and cooling to allow the sun to warm it back up and see.how the salt varies. That also explains why the other day it was 3050 and yesterday it was.3200 with no additonal added salt.

Thanks Jason. The only reason I haven't gotten a TF-1000 is because I have enough of all the other reagents for now having stocked up prior to becoming more active here and learning more. Might be a good consideration tho given all the testing going on to ensure sparkyitis ans expand my understanding of the chemistry.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah....very good to know! So one couls assume it would be better to wait a fay or so after significant rainfall and cooling to allow the sun to warm it back up and see.how the salt varies. That also explains why the other day it was 3050 and yesterday it was.3200 with no additonal added salt.

Yeah. Some SWG manufacturers add a temperature compensation factor to their output salt value, others, like Pentair, do not.

Don't waste too much time trying to over-analyze salt concentration. It's best to just stick to one test like the Taylor drops and determine an offset between that test and what the cell says. As long as the SWG is happy, it will produce all the chlorine it is supposed to. The cells chlorine output response is very weak with respect to salt concentration, ie, salt cells can operate with a very wide margin. If they were not so, it would not be economical to operate one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep...That's my plan. I just wanted to verify salt cell was in range and not doing something wildly out of whack. The 1766 kit confirmed that so I doubt I have any need to do that test very often. And as you said, I have to keep the salt cell happy no matter what.

Yep...That's my plan. I just wanted to verify salt cell was in range and not doing something wildly out of whack. The 1766 kit confirmed that so I doubt I have any need to do that test very often. And as you said, I have to keep the salt cell happy no matter what.

You seem like a bit of a gadget guy, so look up "Pentair IntelliWand". I don't think they're terribly useful, but you might like them ;)

The IntelliPH is on my equipment plan for next season.

IMO, I think the IntelliChem is a huge waste of time and energy. ORP measurements are just not strongly correlated enough to FC to make them a useful proxy (too many confounding variables) and, while stable and reliable, pH probes are just another expense. I much prefer the simplicity of duty cycle based dosing methods. Much easier to debug.

My $0.02 for what it's worth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water sample size. If you use a 10mL water sample, the titrant gives a 0.5ppm/drop accuracy. If you use a 25mL sample, then the accuracy is 0.2ppm/drop.

Typically when you SLAM, you need to do A LOT of testing so using the 10mL sample size helps conserve titrant.

IMO, you should stock up on the titrant. I get 2oz bottles on Amazon from Amato Chemicals for ~ $8 bottle.

Didn't I read in one of your threads that you were going to buy the tf-100 or the Taylor k-2006 kit? Both of them have the fas/dpd test you are asking about. Whoops missed the 2nd page. You can also get a16 oz bottle of the 0871 directly from Taylor or Amazon for less. You can count on it being the freshest from Taylor though.

Taylor is definitely the slowest and most expensive route.

Amazon has several vendors for the chemicals (Amato, Marks Pool Store, etc)

I don't think freshness is a big concern. As long as its in a Taylor bottle, it should be marked with a Lot ID and traceable that way with one phone call to Taylor's help line. If the reagent is old, then Taylor can tell you that.

Problem is, you won't know the lot# until you get it. That's too late! I got mine from Taylor in just a few days, while it took more than a week to get my k-2006 thru Amazon. If it were the r-0013, I wouldn't worry about freshness either, but the 0871 is more sensitive. Bob, if have all the components except for the fas/dpd (which I believe your getting anyhow), then there's no real reason to get the tf-100. Just by refill bottles when needed. Then don't wait till you only have one test left. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.