Testing positive for chlorine but haven’t added any and SWG is off

JenniferMarie90

Feb 16, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hey all, I will preface this by saying this is my first winter with my pool so I’m still trying to get the hang of things. I went to test the chlorine today and my water turned pink indicating that there is chlorine but my salt water generator says “cold” indicating it’s off due to temperature. I haven’t added any liquid chlorine since my pools temp is 42 degrees. Is it possible something is wrong with my testing kit or that there’s residual chlorine from a few weeks ago when my SWG didn’t say “cold”?

At low water temperatures and minimal UV exposure your FC will last quite a while. I do suggest you keep the FC in line with the FC/CYA Levels regardless if the SWCG is working or not. In Laughlin, my SWCG has worked some days and not others as my water temperature is fluctuating around 52F.

Hey Sis !! Also, the SWG does a self check every 12 or 24 hours and will turn itself back on if it sees the temp went high enough before reassessing at the next check. It may run at times you aren’t paying attention to it assuming it’s still off. At 42 degrees it’s probably not the case this time, but it might be down the road. (y)

Reactions: JenniferMarie90
Now that your SWG is not consistently running, be sure to use the non-SWG part of the FC/CYA Levels. Add liquid chlorine as needed to mantain the FC/CYA ratio for a non-SWG pool. Once the water temps consistently remain above the SWG cutoff point, you can move back to the SWG part of the FC/CYA Levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.