Testing PH during shock

michiele

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2007
24
Broken Arrow, OK
#1
I just opened my pool today - slightly green. I shocked it to 16 and then tested the ph. The PH was way too high 8.2. Does the high chlorine level make the ph temporarily high? I tested the ph a few weeks ago before I took the cover off, and it was 7.6. What would cause my ph to go up so high?

Test results today:
FC: 16
CC: 1
CYA: 50
PH: 8.2
 

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
31,271
Sebring, Florida
#2
Yeah, most likely a result of the high chlorine. That initial dose is probably down below 10ppm now so you could test pH again before adding more chlorine and should get a fairly accurate test result (if it's below 10ppm chlorine)

PS - I'd dose your chlorine alittle bit higher (20-25). It drops so quickly when you first put it in, it's hard to keep it above shock value.
 

Butterfly

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2007
10,045
South Carolina
#3
Testing for pH w/chlorine over 10 ppm gives inacurate results. Wait until your FC is below 10 ppm to test for pH. :)

EDIT: Dave, apparently great minds think alike :p :p :p
 

michiele

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2007
24
Broken Arrow, OK
#4
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping the ph test was just inaccurate with the high chlorine. I just upped the chlorine to 20 a few minutes ago. I will bring it up to 20 - 25 tomorrow morning. Thanks:)