jwlv

Dec 19, 2023
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
First time poster. We’re about to take over for our pool service company but first making sure we’re equipped, educated, and capable enough to do so. Along those lines, to ensure appropriate work surface protection when testing and measuring, what are folks using? I was wondering if the following silicone mat with lip is the right idea: Amazon.com

Last edited:
Looks cool - not really necessary, but certainly nifty!
I don’t generally get stuff everywhere or anything. I usually test on the patio table, kitchen counter, or on top of my washing machine.

Reactions: jwlv
When I was uncapping a new bottle of Taylor R-0013 cyanuric acid reagent today, a drop went flying for some reason. Fortunately I was working over some paper towels that I quickly picked up so nothing seeped through to the kitchen counter top. Not sure if it would have done anything to the finish but it got me thinking that I should use something a little better than paper towels for protection. When I measure out acid and chlorine I also notice small splash drops on the walls of the measuring cups so worry about that as well. I typically do that on a work top that I don’t care about though.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

That mat looks cool.
I usually do the tests on the kitchen counter and dump the used water/reagent mix down the drain.
For the CYA test, I mix the test indoors and then go outdoor in the sunlight to do the actual testing.
For a quick FC and/or pH test, I do those poolside.
No issues (I probably jinxed myself now :hammer:).

Reactions: Newdude and jwlv
Welcome to TFP! You already done such a good job getting one of the recommended test kits. You’ll get in a groove with your testing and realize wherever you the tests it will be accurate.

When I was uncapping a new bottle of Taylor R-0013 cyanuric acid reagent today, a drop went flying for some reason.
I bet when similar happens it will travel more than the 8 to11 inches of mat coverage in any direction. Because Murphys.

The only one that particularly stains is the silver nitrate from the salt kit. The phenol red from the PH test may also not play well with all surfaces, but the rest should easily wipe clean.

With my TFPro I test right in the kit itself, the smart stir doesn't need to come out. That covers any drips and if any go flying, they'd hit the wall or the other side of the table either way.

Also, Welcome to TFP !!!

I do not pour liquid chlorine or Muriatic acid indoors - i do so either over the body of water in which it belongs, or in the grass right next to the pool. Best to pour directly into the water from the bottle if possible. This is easy to do in an inground pool as you don’t need to be that precise.
I have never had any issues with cya reagent discoloring anything.
The most common issue is the dpd powder- if it gets wet it can stain light surfaces/materials.

Reactions: jwlv and InyoRich
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.