Testing for FC

joemkraus

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2019
Saratoga, CA
I daily use the FC powder test (R0870/871) test in 10ml water. Today I had two widely different treading, although also from two different places in the pool. One had a heaping spoonful and one use a REALY heaping spoonful (which gave the higher reading), so can you use too much powder in the test??

Joe,

In theory, you can't use too much powder.. If you do, it should not make any difference.

That said, you want to try to use the same basic technique each time you test so that you can have faith in your results.

I generally try to test from about the same place every time.. You should not test if the pump has been off for several hours.. We normally recommend testing after the pump has been on for 30 minute or more.

If you are dosing once a day with Liquid Chlorine, then you should be testing just before dosing.. The whole point being that you want to make sure that your FC never drops below your minimum... I personally try to keep my FC at my target or higher.

Thanks,

Jim R.

thanks. I too keep FC in check every day, but I use a lot of chlorine (almost 1 gal per day), now I am thinking that maybe I am not using enough powder, so if you cant use too much, great, I will use more if my readings have maybe have been low

Joe,

A gallon a day, this time a year seems a little high to me.. Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm in the middle of the summer.

Where are you keeping your CYA??

One "heaping" little TF-100 spoon full is all you should ever need.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.