Tested my water temp...does this make sense?

Yarzy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2020
Chalfont, PA
Hi everyone. I am heading into the first full year that I have owned a pool so I have never opened it before. With the warmer weather coming in (I am in SE PA), I am getting anxious to open the pool. Yesterday I pulled a little bit of our solid cover back and used a digital probe thermometer and it read 49-50 degrees. Does this seem possible? I ask because I see people waiting until mid April to open but as I understand it, opening between 50-60 degrees is ideal to prevent the algae from growing. I then thought maybe it was warmer because I took the temp on the swim-out in the deep end but with a cover and not getting any sun, would that really make a huge difference? I guess my point is should consider opening it sooner than expected or wait for some other reason (pollen perhaps)? Also, does 50 degrees currently sound remotely correct mid March in PA?

Thank you all!

I just opened 2 weeks ago on a Saturday at 80 degrees outside and the pool hit 60 degrees... The next Tuesday it dropped to 24 degrees and nights stayed below 30 degrees till the weekend... the freeze protection kicked on and the water dropped to 45 degrees... No issues at all, now the water is back up to 60 degrees...

As long as you know your pumps have freeze protection or you run them 24/7 if it falls below 30 degrees then I say open now :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.