Test strip & bleach

darcNL

Jul 5, 2017
Canada
So I'm waiting on my K-2006 test kit to come, and today I think I did something I shouldn't of.
My chlorine was reading about <1 on my test strip for FC, and I decided to use the bleach instead of the granular chlorine. My tub is like 1580L and I out in 52mls of 12% bleach. I thought my strip would show a change.... Cause it says FC test... But nothing changed? It still reads less than 1. Will the strips show any change at all with bleach?

By Pool Math that would have raised your FC by 4 ppm.

That is why they are called Guess Strips ----

For one thing, bleach is good for pools and spas, solid chlorine like the tabs are bad because they raise either CYA or CH, which won’t lower down without draining and refilling. And strips are very unreliable. 52ml of 12% chlorine should raise your FC by 4, however strips may or may not register that. Until your test kit comes, add 100ml of 12% chlorine every day. Post a full set of tests results once your kit comes in, without the results, we're pretty much flying blind.

Re: Test strip &amp; bleach

How much have you been putting in? I use about a fluid ounce of bleach a day (30ml). If you're chlorine (from any thing, not just bleach) is too high, it will bleach the test strip and show none .

How much solid chlorine were you putting in? If you were following the pool store rules, you were likely putting in a set amount every day or two? Just convert that to ppm and add the same amount for bleach ppm. Until you get your test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.