Test results

D&GNewbies

Jun 25, 2020
Iowa
Since I have never in my life used a pool test kit, I took our sample to the pool store since it's our very first sample of water. I want to make sure I am not screwing anything up. So thank you all for being so patient and kind. It's very very appreciated, and I am very sorry for all the stupid questions.
Here's what our results say:
Free Chlorine- 0.04ppm
Total Chlorine- 0.2ppm
Combined Chlorine- 0.16ppm
pH-8
Hardness- 155ppm
Alkalinity- over 273ppm
CYA- 2ppm
Copper- 0ppm
Iron- 0ppm

This is what was suggest:
1 gallon muriatic acid- dump in pool with pump off and let sit for 2 hours
2 gallons of liquid shock poured in pool
6lbs 1.8oz of stabilizer in 2 tube socks tied to ladder

What do your tests say? Most of us don't trust pool store testing. How many gallons is your pool? I'd never put acid into a pool with the pump off. It can pool and damage things. Acid should be poured in front of a return with the water running so it mixes immediately. You do need CYA. You do need to lower TA and the PH. How much to add depends on the number of gallons of water the pool holds.

Ummm. Dumping a gallon of acid into the pool with the pump off and letting it sit for 2 hours could be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard in my life. Do not do that.

You have a good test kit. Please get it out and run your own tests. Post those results and you'll get all the free advise you need.

What do your tests say? Most of us don't trust pool store testing. How many gallons is your pool? I'd never put acid into a pool with the pump off. It can pool and damage things. Acid should be poured in front of a return with the water running so it mixes immediately. You do need CYA. You do need to lower TA and the PH. How much to add depends on the number of gallons of water the pool holds.
Our pool is 13,595 gallons. I have the Taylor Kit, but haven't used it yet. It's very intimidating! :)

You have to start some time. We don't bite and we are happy to answer questions. Read the Pool School articles here when you have time. PoolMath will help you determine how much and what to add. Plug in the size of your pool and your test results it will tell you what to do. Post it here first if you want. There are plenty of people who will double check things for you.

Ok so i am playing with the test kit, but there isn't any color indicator for chlorine. Or am I missing something. I have the Taylor K2006 complete FAS-DPD kit. Did i get the wrong one? I am such a dummy

I still use the instructions that came with my kit even after having it for a year. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it, it is actually a fun little game trying keep the water perfect.

The FAs-DPD doesn't use a color block test. Look for instructions. I'll see if I can find some. The short answer is you add 10ml of water to a graduated cylinder. Add a little scoop of powder. If chlorine is present the water turns pink/red. Add drops of the right chemical and the water turns clear. Count the drops and divide by two. Ten drops would be 5ppm of chlorine. I don't have the names of the chemicals you use with me.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The FAs-DPD doesn't use a color block test. Look for instructions. I'll see if I can find some. The short answer is you all 10ml of water to a graduated cylinder. Add a little scoop of powder. If chlorine is present the water turns pink. Add drops of the right chemical and the water turns clear. Count the drops and divide by two. Ten drops would be 5ppm of chlorine. I don't have the names of the chemicals you use with me.
Thank you so much!! That makes sense. I was freaking out thinking I got the wrong kit and yea, slight panic attack. Chemistry was NOT my favorite subject, so this is definitely new learning territory. I ran the Chlorine and the water didn't change color with the scoop of powder, which makes sense cause we haven't added chlorine yet. Ran the pH and it was matching the 8, and the TA took 44 drops to turn from green to red. The better half did bring home 8 gallons of liquid chlorine, stabilizer granules and some algaeclear. I am running to the hardware store after work to pick up the muriatic acid. Ace Hardware has the 31.45% one for $9.69

Take back the Algaeclear. Not needed and most likely will mess up your water chemistry.

Add 30 ppm CYA worth of stabilizer. Assuming your pool is 12000 gallons, that is 3 pounds of granules. Add them to a sock/nylon and hang in front of a return.
Add half of a gallon of liquid chlorine (assume it is 10% or 12.5%).

Let that all mix in. Deal with pH later. It is not urgent.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Take back the Algaeclear. Not needed and most likely will mess up your water chemistry.

Add 30 ppm CYA worth of stabilizer. Assuming your pool is 12000 gallons, that is 3 pounds of granules. Add them to a sock/nylon and hang in front of a return.
Add half of a gallon of liquid chlorine (assume it is 10% or 12.5%).

Let that all mix in. Deal with pH later. It is not urgent.
Thank you!! The pool is 13,595, not sure if that will make a difference. I will pick up some nylons tonight since I need them for the skimmer anyway. The liquid chlorine is 12.5%

Still use the volumes I posted.

Be sure that you measure the water depth of the pool. Many manufacturer specs are over stated.

Do you not have an old sock around? Definitely get the chlorine in the water now. The CYA would be good to get started too.

Still use the volumes I posted.

Be sure that you measure the water depth of the pool. Many manufacturer specs are over stated.

Do you not have an old sock around? Definitely get the chlorine in the water now. The CYA would be good to get started too.
I can scrounge one up around here. We normally don't buy the long ones, we all wear short no shows. When would be safe to add the acid then?

The muriatic acid? You can anytime, but that is not urgent. Chlorine is.

You need an accurate TA reading along with pH to see how much acid to add. Use PoolMath

You can add the acid anytime. Since you are new to this you might consider adding half now and half a few hours later. That gives you time to see if your test results changed the way you expected. It's good practice and it helps you zero in on the size of your pool and get comfortable with the testing. Better to sneak up on it early on than over shoot. Once you are comfortable with your testing you will get used to adding chemicals all at once.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.