Test Results Questions

Reporting back from Whoville...

We had a small amount of Borax last night and I threw it in the pool. I bought another box of Borax and 20 gal of Bleach (8.5%).

The pool ran all day and I ran a few tests this pm. My new TFT test kit came today.

I first ran the tests without adding anything today.

I used my existing K kit first, then used the TFT kit.

Results:

K Kit

FC = >2.5
TC = >2.5

pH = 7.0 (went up a bit from the small amount of Borax)

TA = Turned Green (Good); 5 drops to turn red; = 50ppm

CH = Turned Red (Good); 30 drops to blue; = 300ppm

CYA = 35

TFT Kit

Ch Drop Test = Turned Pink (Good); 30 drops (to clear) = 15ppm; 5 drops (Stayed Clear) = no CC's (Good or Bad)??

Cal Hard Test = Turned Red (Good) = Calcium Present; 8 drops (to blue) = 200 ppm

Tot Alk Test = Turned Green (Good); 10 drops (to Red) = 100ppm

CYA = 25

I then added the Borax (4+lb box) and let the pump work. I went out and came back 4 hours later.

A bit too dark to do all the tests so I just did the CHL and pH Test using the TFT Kit

CH = >5

pH = 7.2

Pool is much, much clearer.

Pump will be on all night again and will test again tomorrow pm.

Is there anything I should do tonight or tomorrow (am) before I go to work?

Thanks again for all the help.

Thanks for the reply. I have not yet started to SLAM as I first had to get my pH up a bit.

I am going to start the SLAM process tomorrow.

Should I just start at the beginning or do some of my results dictate a different starting point?

BTW, I lived in SV for 5 years in the 80's-90's... I liked it there..

Thanks again...

Thanks for the reply. I have not yet started to SLAM as I first had to get my pH up a bit.

I am going to start the SLAM process tomorrow.

Should I just start at the beginning or do some of my results dictate a different starting point?

BTW, I lived in SV for 5 years in the 80's-90's... I liked it there..

Thanks again...

Did you add any stabilizer to bring up your CYA to 30? If not go ahead and add enough to target 30 after you test CYA in good sunlight with the sun to your back holding the tube waist level.

Then you should be good to go.

I moved her in 1980, graduated in 90 got married and moved away until 92, then came back until 95, got divorced and came back in 2002. It is home. You would not believe how much it has grown and changed since you were here. You should pull it up on google earth.

Thanks for the recommendations... SV was building up a lot while I was out was there. I am sure it has grown even more. At times I wish I stayed there after I getting out of the military. You must have been there the same time I was stationed there.

I did run through some tests this pm. Here is what I am looking at now.

Quick Tests

CHL = 5+
pH = 7.2

Detailed Tests

CDT = Turned pink; 10 drops (871) = FC of 5ppm; 5 drops (003) slight pink; 1 drop (871) = clear; CC = .5ppm... TC = 5 + .5 = 5.5ppm

CHT = Turned Pink = Calcium; 5 drops (11); 5 drops (R12) = 125ppm

TAT = Turned Green; 7 drops (9) = 70 TTA

CYA = 30

My pH went up to 7.2, which is good

My CDT went lower 5.5, which is good

CHT went from 200ppm down to 125ppm, which seems a bit low

TA went from 100 to 70, which is good

CYA went up from 25 to 30 which is good.

So it looks like my numbers are getting more in line with the SLAM recommendations.

I need to boost the pH up a bit to 7.5. So I will throw in a bit more Borax.

Then recheck the numbers tomorrow. At which point if the numbers stay relatively the same, I would need to boost my TA up just a tad and my CH up a bit more.

Thanks again everyone for your help in working this with me. Much appreciated.

SV was a very low key Military Installation at one time. It has picked up in recent years.

My numbers seem to be getting in the optimal zone. So all I think I need to do first is get my FC into the "shock area" of 12.

Pool Math states 2.8 gal of 8.25% (121 oz). I will throw that in tonight and recalculate.

Thx again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it is Stablizer granular keep them. You could keep the pucks if they are chlorine in case if you should go on vacation and need to float them to make sure your FC stays up while you are gone. They will likely raise your CYA so try not to use them if you don't have too.

Trichlor pucks can be good to use in a floater or autofeeder when you go on vacation or are gone for several days. Just know that they will raise your CYA. The granules can also come in handy some day, depending on the type of granules to raise CYA or CH quickly if you need to do so. Dichlor granules will add CYA, more than per weight than trichlor tablets. Cal-hypo granules or tablets will raise CH. NEVER mix undissolved Cal-Hypo and Dichlor/Trichlor. The consequences can be... explosive.

If you have a lot and don't want to store them, try to return unopened containers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.