Test Results in on the Cesspit!

Need some advice, I'm not really sure what my water should look like when done. I know it should be clear, but I know that liner color can mess with what "color" it should look like. I know if I stand on the deck, I can see if something is on the bottom on the far side of the pool. My chlorine use over night is 1 ppm, with no CC, but my water looks like the picture below, perhaps I am missing something? Any ideas fellow pool nerds? I know I have a ton of pollen in the area, so I am suspecting that my bit of cloudyness is actually that as oppose to algae or something organic. I've put DE in my filter too, no improvement.

Here are my latest full test results (taken at 7:00 am):

Free Chlorine: 13 ppm
Combined Chlorine: 0 ppm
TA: 60
CA: 70
CYA: 35

NmcoPoA.jpg

Ok, so I have a question for you all. I have an above ground pool, it is metal sided pool with a soft vinyl liner. I am going to have to replace my automatic pool cleaner, the cost to fix it (100 bucks) is basically what I could get a new one for. I found a good one that is not too expensive, but will get the job done. I am looking at this one: http://tinyurl.com/kcb957z - It appears to have good reviews, will this work with my pool?

I have the exact same cleaner, and am really happy with it. A few words of advice: The vac likes to get hung up on the ladder, so I put a hinge on my ladder and raise it when the vac is operating. Also, the vac will follow the hose, so If your eyeball is creating a whirlpool, the vac will repeat cleaning the same area. I suggest pointing the eyeball straight down. In addition, resist the tempt to coil up the hose when you remove the vac from the pool. I disconnect the hose into 3 sections and lay the sections straight on my deck. Any kinks or curves in the hose will effect how it cleans. Lastly, you might need an extra length of hose in order to reach the whole pool. I have a 30' AGP, and needed 3 extra lengths of hose to clean the whole pool. Leslies carries universal hose lengths.

I have the exact same cleaner, and am really happy with it. A few words of advice: The vac likes to get hung up on the ladder, so I put a hinge on my ladder and raise it when the vac is operating. Also, the vac will follow the hose, so If your eyeball is creating a whirlpool, the vac will repeat cleaning the same area. I suggest pointing the eyeball straight down. In addition, resist the tempt to coil up the hose when you remove the vac from the pool. I disconnect the hose into 3 sections and lay the sections straight on my deck. Any kinks or curves in the hose will effect how it cleans. Lastly, you might need an extra length of hose in order to reach the whole pool. I have a 30' AGP, and needed 3 extra lengths of hose to clean the whole pool. Leslies carries universal hose lengths.

I returned the cleaner as it would only work if I held the suction plate in the skimmer. I am looking at an Aquabot Rover or Rover Junior, unsure why. I have the eyeball pointed down slightly, so when I put my bleach in, it helps circulate it better. I just am frustrated because it seems like I can't get it to be crystal clear, but I vacuum daily, run the filter 24/7, maintain my 14 ppm free chlorine through testing three times a daily, 90% of the time, I have no CC, the rest of the time it is 0.5. I'm really not sure what to do...

Sorry the vac didnt work out for you.

About your water clarity: The only thing I can say, based off your numbers and time spent SLAMing, is it appears as if your filter is not filtering properly. When you put the DE in, can you see any shoot out the return? Have you deep cleaned the filter to ensure the sand is not channeled? Are you sure that you have proper filter sand, and enough of it? Might be time to take your filter apart, inspect for broken laterals, and possibly consider a sand replacement. I know sand does not wear out, but it is possible the wrong type was put in.

Sorry the vac didnt work out for you.

About your water clarity: The only thing I can say, based off your numbers and time spent SLAMing, is it appears as if your filter is not filtering properly. When you put the DE in, can you see any shoot out the return? Have you deep cleaned the filter to ensure the sand is not channeled? Are you sure that you have proper filter sand, and enough of it? Might be time to take your filter apart, inspect for broken laterals, and possibly consider a sand replacement. I know sand does not wear out, but it is possible the wrong type was put in.

It very well could be a filter problem. When I put the DE in, I did not see any come out the return. Although I did notice when I backwash, that some sand will come out the return. I do not know what is in it, as it has whatever came in it when we purchased the property. I could take it apart tomorrow and see how I make out with it, tonight is out of the books as I have to work until 8 pm. How would I know if the wrong type was put in it?

Ok, I need help... I'm getting a dead knat infestation in my pool (which is why I suspect my chlorine is dropping like crazy and I am using a ton), is there anyway to keep them out? It's hard for me to do an OCLT because I'm loosing a bunch cause of the dead knats that keep landing in the pool despite everything being crystal clear... Grr...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bugs are a daily battle. There's not much you can do about it other than scoop them out with a net or let the skimmer get them. I make my kids do it. :)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

I don't have any suggestions on the gnats, but I did want to say I get a lot of bugs in my pool but its never caused a problem with chlorine consumption.

I would say keep SLAMming until you pass the OCLT. Can you post another picture so we can see how the water looks?

In the last pic you posted, your water still looked very cloudy to me.

Something you might try, leave your manual vacuum connected and set it in the middle of the pool, on its side or upside down, so your pump will be sucking water and circulating from the bottom of the pool.

My phone pictures suck, but I will bring my digital camera home from work and take a couple for you guys. It is clear though, I can put a coin on the far side and see it. Also, the stuff on the bottom is sand as I have a bad lateral in the filter. But I passed the OCLT, 15.5 ppm when I set it last night (11 pm) and it was 15 ppm this morning (7:30 am).

So I am going to let the FC come down to 5.

Thanks all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.