Test results, bleach and muriatic acid recommendations?

Aug 14, 2018
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi, been following along the site, but only recently made the switch to liquid chlorine (bad I know). Here are my test results tonight:

FC= 10.5
CC= 1
pH= 7.8 (added 3 qrts muriatic acid per pool math)
CYA= 100
TA= 130
CH= 600

Hoping that over time my CYA will drop with no more tablets in the water and fill water is needed often due to evaporation in summer. Will drain more if I have to.

I live in Scottsdale, AZ. Any tips on where best to buy bleach and muriatic acid? Also, how often should I need to add muriatic acid? So far shopping at Walmart and Lowe's Thanks!

PS- my pool/plaster is really old and has lots of dark stains. Pretty certain they've not gotten worse since I moved in, but not sure what they're from. Did the vitamin C test and trichlor puck, neither had any effect. Will post a picture in daylight.

CYA is unaffected by evaporation.
It does degrade a bit quicker in 85F + water. I see about 5-10 ppm drop per month in June, July, and August.

Did you do the dilute CYA test to get the 100 ppm?

At a CYA of 120, your minimum FC is 10 ppm, and your target range is 14-18 ppm.

Your pH test is invalid at 10 ppm and higher.

It is quite difficult to manage a pool water effectively at that level CYA.

At least. But in the summer, it is not wise to drain a plaster pool in Arizona. The plaster can crack and fail when it dries in the heat. There is an exchange process that takes time, effort, and a low volume sump pump. If interested, let me know.

I have done the exchange process before so can do that again. Ordering a submersible pump as we speak. Does high CYA have any effect on plaster? Or high CH? Still unsure what all the dark spots are from. Pool had really high FC, CH and CYA when I moved in. No idea how long it was like that. Scaling on tiles is bad too.

CYA should not have any effect on plaster. Unless, the pool also had high levels of copper in the water. Then Copper Cyanurate can form. It normally is a dark purple to black color.

High CH can form scale. You need to learn about CSI - Calcium Saturation Index (CSI) - Trouble Free Pool here in the SW desert.

Pool stores can normally do a copper test.

Though most of the copper would be on the walls if you do have copper staining.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nobody answered your question about the bleach source. Find which pool stores are distributors for HASA. They sell 12.5% bleach and muriatic acid in refillable jugs. Probably the cheapest you will find.

There is an entire thread dedicated to "best prices for chlorine" sources.

I checked out HASA for my own area in middle Tennessee. Their website shows they have only six distribution facilities; all from at or about Dallas TX and farther points west: two in southern CA, one in Northern CA, one near Portland OR, one near Dallas TX, and one in Elroy, AZ. This could be manufacturing locations only and not all retail locations where refill sites are located, but it states on their website that those locations are "distribution facilities". The latter on the list, Elrod AZ is southeast of Phoenix and quite far from Scottsdale (64 miles center mass). I then googled to see if they have retail locations where one can have jugs filled, which would be great and may be true, but I couldn't find it; found only big box stores come up with a google search of their products, and of course they are not liquid chlorine products.

I went further to see if their product called "desert star chlorinating compound" (10% liquid chlorine gallon jug) was/is available near me or in Scottsdale. No.

What I did find was that a 10% concentration, full 1-gallon bottle labeled "Pool Life" is currently in stock at five Walmart locations in and around Scottsdale for $3.49/gallon. I would caution one to make sure the jugs you buy are fresh, as big box stores are notorious for having very old stock on hand, which will be much weaker. Remember that, the higher the concentration of liquid chlorine, the quicker that it's strength will be lost.

Additionally, I found that you should have four Leslie pool supply stores in the Scottsdale area. I don't have access to the nation's largest pool chemical chain.

Where I live in middle Tennessee, we have stores called Ollie's Bargain Outlets "good stuff cheap". During peak swimming season, they offer 10% Kik brand, full 128 oz gallon jugs for $2.99/gallon. The label states "SHOCK; Chlorinating Liquid for Pools and Spas". Works great but Ollies Bargain Outlets go as far west as Dallas, TX and are not even in many areas in the east.

I checked out HASA for my own area in middle Tennessee. Their website shows they have only six distribution facilities; all from at or about Dallas TX and farther points west: two in southern CA, one in Northern CA, one near Portland OR, one near Dallas TX, and one in Elroy, AZ. This could be manufacturing locations only and not all retail locations where refill sites are located, but it states on their website that those locations are "distribution facilities". The latter on the list, Elrod AZ is southeast of Phoenix and quite far from Scottsdale (64 miles center mass). I then googled to see if they have retail locations where one can have jugs filled, which would be great and may be true, but I couldn't find it; found only big box stores come up with a google search of their products, and of course they are not liquid chlorine products.

I went further to see if their product called "desert star chlorinating compound" (10% liquid chlorine gallon jug) was/is available near me or in Scottsdale. No.

What I did find was that a 10% concentration, full 1-gallon bottle labeled "Pool Life" is currently in stock at five Walmart locations in and around Scottsdale for $3.49/gallon. I would caution one to make sure the jugs you buy are fresh, as big box stores are notorious for having very old stock on hand, which will be much weaker. Remember that, the higher the concentration of liquid chlorine, the quicker that it's strength will be lost.

Additionally, I found that you should have four Leslie pool supply stores in the Scottsdale area. I don't have access to the nation's largest pool chemical chain.

Where I live in middle Tennessee, we have stores called Ollie's Bargain Outlets "good stuff cheap". During peak swimming season, they offer 10% Kik brand, full 128 oz gallon jugs for $2.99/gallon. The label states "SHOCK; Chlorinating Liquid for Pools and Spas". Works great but Ollies Bargain Outlets go as far west as Dallas, TX and are not even in many areas in the east.
wow thank you for the thorough research! I am using the 'Pool Life' bottles from Walmart. They are on sale for two-packs for about $6.50 right now.

Could be copper staining.

You stated your plaster is pretty old. You may just want to wait until a full chip out and replaster. Removing stains like copper is an involved process that includes a full draining of the pool water.

Those must be manufacturing because a local pool store in Tucson sells it. Leslie's will not. Have to find a more local, mom and pop store I think. That deal at walmart might be close. I think I pay 3.99 for each gallon of 12.5% with the 12th gallon free.

At least. But in the summer, it is not wise to drain a plaster pool in Arizona. The plaster can crack and fail when it dries in the heat. There is an exchange process that takes time, effort, and a low volume sump pump. If interested, let me know.
Started the water exchange today. Gonna shoot for 50% drain or so then check CYA level. What would be an acceptable target for CYA given my numbers from a couple days ago?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.