Test results and CYA

Apr 1, 2017
Brockton, MA
Just opened two days ago. Water is clear after vacuuming debris. Here are the results:

Pool Store My test
CYA 60 30 or less
PH 7.0 7.1
ALK 70 80
CH 70 Not performed vinyl pool
TC 0 0
FC 0 0

Question1. Why the discrepancy in the CYA results? I will perform test again to be sure.

Question2 . How do I proceed with results with TA and PH?

Question3. How do I maintain with daily chlorine . Is based on my CYA and chart. I'm assuming the pool calculator will tell me how much 12.5% liquid chlorine to add daily to maintain my minimum FC, right? Will I be able to add every two days instead as opposed to everyday?

Question4. Pool seems relatively clear. Do I still do the overnight test?
Thanks!

1. Pool store testing is usually not accurate. We trust your numbers, you should too.

2. They are fine for now.

3. Correct on both accounts. Test and add every day for a couple weeks. Then back off as you understand your pool's appetite. A log helps, Excel or I use an old fashioned notebook.

4. Your numbers are perfect to start a SLAM, I would do that. If you are relatively clear, it may not take long at all. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I agree completely. I tried the same thing when I opened this year. I was about to buy CYA but decided to have the pool store test my CYA since I was unsure about my testing. They said I had 40ppm so I thought I was good to go. Only I was losing twice as much FC as I expected. Without adding any CYA, my wife has the pool store do another test which says that there is zero CYA in the water. I added the appropriate amount of CYA and it tested as expected with my own kit. I no longer put any value in the pool store tests. My tests are more accurate. Going to them is less than useless.

I did the CYA test again with my Taylor k-2006. the pool store was definitely wrong with a result of 60 . My test show less than 30. At 20 I could still see the black dot. With CYA I've heard about the sock method. The directions on the bottle says to pour it in skimmer slowly and not backwashed. Is the sock method the best way. How much do I put I the sock?

Use PoolMath (top of this page) to calculate how much CYA powder you need based on your pool volume and how much you wish to raise your CYA.
An example - to raise your CYA by 20 ppm, you would place 3 lb 8 oz of powder in a tube sock or panty hose. Tie the end and hang in front of your water return in the pool, but do it so the sock does NOT rest on the wall of the pool. If someone can squeeze the sock every once in a while, the powder will dissolve in a couple hours.

Test for your new CYA in 48 hours. But for your current FC needs - assume what you put in is in there and added to what you have in the pool before adding the additional CYA.

Take care.

Just scoop the CYA into the sock and throw it in the skimmer. Every few hours or once a day give it a squeeze and it'll dissolve fairly quickly. Recheck the CYA level a few days after the sock is completely dissolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.