Test Results After Being Closed for the Winter

Scotland

Oct 1, 2019
Memphis, TN
Hi all. I hope you are all fairing well in these difficult times.

We have had the pool closed since November, and given that we don't know what is going to happen we were thinking of opening it early.
We were intending on someone doing it for us but we may have to do it ourselves now (I'll look in that forum soon).

I just tested the water and I am getting very low results for everything...is that normal?

FC - 0
CC - 0
TC - 0
CH - 25
TA - 10
CYA -20
NaCl - 400

Should I be worried about anything or go with the normal opening procedure?

What is the pH?

TA of 10 is concerning. Retest that.

How does the water look?

How old are your reagents?

We have not fixed the leak, but the water level is high so it is fair to say that it is in the plugged pipes somewhere.
There had been a lot of rain over the winter so lots of water has been added.

So am I going to need to wait until the cover is off and the water is circulating again before I get a good reading?

So am I going to need to wait until the cover is off and the water is circulating again before I get a good reading
You can pop the cover in the spots that you need to work on the plumbing to get the equiptment running, and then cover it back up and let it run covered. You can give it a few days to stir, test mid week and have your supplies ready to go for the next weekend. Pop the cover, add 3/4 of what you need for each #, test again and go from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What will be done about the leak?

Are you going to start losing water when you unplug the lines?
Do you still have a leak?

How much fresh water has been added?

So the leak. We were told we had a leak in the skimmer line and the return line. They have been turned off and we have been running the pool on the main drain, and the paramount in floor cleaning system. Then we closed the pool.

We got Pool Sharks in to open and told them the issues, specifically saying don’t use the skimmer or return lines. Of course they opened the skimmer lines...muddy water shooting out the pipe (before it gets to the filter)...so that is that leak confirmed lol.

They also said they could not get a prime on the main drain either, and showed us that being the case. They told us that means we also have a leak in the main line, packed up and left. We went into a panic.

We got American Leak Detection out and they confirmed where the leaks in the skimmer and return lines are, but said they are confident we don’t have a main line leak as the pool isn’t losing water (but couldn’t dive to test it).

Today we reviewed videos we took of the guy closing for us and found a plug still in the skimmer part of the in floor system! Opened that and the pump primed great from the main line.

We are running it through the main line and cleaner for now, bypassing the leaks. At least we now know for certain where they are though and are getting quotes to fix them. Unlikely to be until this crisis finishes though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.