EnormCrane

Mar 29, 2019
Modesto
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey, tfp! I moved into my current house a little over a year ago, and inherited my wonderful pool. Found this community after doing tons of research, and have followed these methods ever since. All my pool and kit details should be in my signature, and my pool math entries are public, so I won't bore you with the details. My question is this:

May 4 1230: FC 1.0, added a gallon of liquid chlorine 10% (I usually use bleach at 6%, but it can't be purchased more than one bottle at a time right now, so I switched to 10%).
May 5 0840: FC 2.6, added 92 oz of liquid chlorine 10%
CC 0.4 (I don't always test for CC, but when I add bleach and it doesn't increase FC like it should, I start to go into troubleshooting mode
May 5 1300: FC 3.8. I tested this twice, because after adding 1.7 gallons of bleach, my readings would normally have increased to much higher.
CC 0

My own thoughts are this: Maybe my reagents are old and losing potency, but the oldest ones are only a year old. I buy the big "E" size reagents and refill my kit as needed. My reagents are inside, in a cabinet, no light, room temperature.

I took my water to Leslie's for them to run a test (which I know is pointless, because I have been testing three or more times per week and know my pool's trends and such). They got a FC reading of 5.9, which is closer to where my pool should be based on my knowledge of how fast my pool loses chlorine to sunlight, what its trends are, etc. They also got a higher pH reading than I did (their 7.9 to my 7.6), but I trust mine way more here, because at least it makes sense.

The only other thing I can think is that maybe I accidentally switched a couple of droplet caps when recently refilling my reagents. I'm not sure if the different caps give different drop sizes within the same kit, but that's really all I can think of.

Any thoughts as to why, in a clean and clear pool with no real CC problem, adding chlorinating liquid would fail to raise FC levels to the expected amount? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Glad to be a part of this community,
Zach

What is the date code on your chlorine? is it fresh? One possibility is that your chlorine is not as potent as you think as it degrades over time. It could also degrade if stored in harsh conditions such as high heat or if the store kept it outside in direct sunlight.

The only other thing I can think is that maybe I accidentally switched a couple of droplet caps when recently refilling my reagents. I'm not sure if the different caps give different drop sizes within the same kit, but that's really all I can think of.
I'm fairly sure the bottles use droppers with different size orifices.

Can anyone confirm this? @OTPirate

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.