Test pH over 8.0?

Feb 6, 2013
Jupiter, Florida
Is there a commonly used test that shows pH levels above 8.0? I use the Taylor K-2006 which as everyone knows..only goes to 8.0. I am fighting rising pH and am trying to get TA down to maybe 50 to see if that will slow it down but if it doesn't then I would like to know exactly where the pool wants to be with normal numbers on the other tests. Tired of going through MA...like almost 4 gallons in a month....

The PH rise will slow under 60 and possibly stop at 50. It is important to keep your pH at 7.8 or less to avoid scaling. Pool School - Calcium Scaling There is one pH test block that goes to 8.2

If you are running your spillover or bubblers then run them less. Aeration causes pH to rise.

Taylor makes lots of pH tests for a wide range. Select test type PH here,
Welcome to Taylor Technologies

I would suggest there is no need for a pH test above 8.0 because it's out of range and you KNOW you need to lower it basede on your current test results. It's easy enough to lower pH into range in increments if you are concerned it's way, way high.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you might be interested in running a consistent pH above 7.8 and, for what we teach at TFP, that is a big no-no.

I would suggest there is no need for a pH test above 8.0 because it's out of range and you KNOW you need to lower it basede on your current test results. It's easy enough to lower pH into range in increments if you are concerned it's way, way high.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you might be interested in running a consistent pH above 7.8 and, for what we teach at TFP, that is a big no-no.

Not really. Just want to know what it rises to. I have learned in here, as well as through the conventional wisdom pretty much everywhere, that 8+ is bad no matter what you do.

I have an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. One the five tests is pH with a range from 7.4 to 8.8. Once my pool was over 8.0 and for fun I used it to confirm that I was just barely out of range of my normal test. For fun. As others have said there is no reason to need that information. Normally I just add acid until I get back in range when that happens.

Not too surprisingly, there is a school of thought for ponds of testing first to avoid making blind changes to pond chemistry.

There is one pH test block that goes to 8.2

My BlueDevil goes to 8.2, I've never noticed that before. The reagent that comes with it is not exactly the same as the Taylor but the indicator is still phenol red. My pools pH seems to settle on 7.8 and I adjust back to 7.6, even when left for a couple of weeks while on holidays it still never went past 7.8.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought TA buffered against a pH decrease while borate buffers against an increase.

All good answers above.

You can get a rough sense of whether you're right at 8.0 or somewhere above by using the acid demand test regularly. If you do that test regularly, you get a feel for how much one drop reduces the pH.

I agree with staying below 8.0 but I also like a sense of how high it went when I blow it and wait too long.

The indicator used in pool test kits tops out at 8.2.

But that's okay because pool water almost always stops the pH rise at right at 8.3. A carbonate buffered solution tops out around there unless you really try to raise it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.