Test Kits: TF-100 & Taylor K-2006

Jun 15, 2017
Minnesota
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Alright so I have a few questions about the two TF-100 and Taylor K-2006 test kits.
At the moment, I don't have enough time to order the TF-100 test kit. There is just no buts about it. I've looked at many other test kits and the chart on here comparing the few different test kits. Overall the TF-100 is probably my favorite and the best, it's just that I cannot get it in time.
Back to the other kit, Taylor K-2006. I've read it all and it seems like I can test everything for my pool with the supplies they give me.. except for the OTO. I'm not 100% sure on what that is because i just skimmed over it a few minutes ago. I'm guessing that the OTO is chlorine related and is important to be tested. If it is something that has to be tested but isn't in the test kit, should I just buy a separate OTO test?
if it is a yes, what OTO test and where could I get one at? Preferably Amazon?

Just for clararity: Get the Taylor K-2006 test kit and buy a separate OTO test
Would all of that be enough for a complete summer of testing?^

The OTO test isn't necessary if you have the FAS-DPD test for chlorine. It's helpful as a sanity check, but not necessary.

I'm assuming from your haste that your pool is green. Note that the K-2006 is pretty skimpy on the FAS-DPD reagents you'll be using the most, and it's more common than not that people run out before they've completed the SLAM. Therefore, you might want the K-2006C. Or... order your K-2006 from Amazon or whoever promises it overnight, and order the FAS-DPD refills as well, which will arrive in a few days, hopefully before you run out.

Hi Emma,

I don't know what else is going on, but if you are trying to clear a messy pool, the K2006 is a bad choice, only because it will not have enough reagent to finish the job. TF100 comes with OTO, but you can do without that part. When it comes to the K2006, we only recommend the larger C version because of the reagent volume. People often order the straight version, and rhen have to purchase more FAS/DPD reagent soon after to clear their pool. Even with the frequent testing you need to do while initially learning your pool, the regular version can come up short. The C version is more expensive, and it's why we usually suggest the TF100, because it's a better value. The 2006s are very nice, excellent kits, but not the best value for the dollar.

I never use the OTO test, you shouldn't need.

K2006 will fill all your needs. If you want to order extra reagents, the CYA liquid and FAS-DPD powder will probably run out the fastest. They're all the same reagents as the TF-100/refills and all backwards compatible.

The Taylor K-2006C is pretty much the same kit, but with extra reagents.

OTO is another method of measuring Free Chlorine. FAS-DPD is another method. OTO is not as precise as FAS-DPD and can't read higher FC numbers with much degree of accuracy.

Actually, OTO measures Total Chlorine, not Free, so both are shown at once. It counts what has been used up, as well as what is "free" or "available" to do the work intended.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.