Gold Supporter
Sep 26, 2023
Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I ordered and began using the Taylor k2006c at the end of last season . Need to start testing tomorrow.
Are opened/ used bottles still good?
As well as the unopened ?

She was a little pricey so I’m hoping the answer is yes 🤞

*Stored in attached but not heated garage when not in use

If kept at room temperature most items should last two seasons.

TFTestkits.net has a refill sale on until March 31.

Thanks is there a way to check accuracy/potency?

A slam is in my near future so I had ordered more of the r 0870 and r0871 but appear to have plenty if good as only used a few weeks last year

Only check is if the data results do not make sense. The R0870 powder can go bad quickly if not kept dry. All items do not survive freezing temperatures.

For future reference. I have 3 perfect out of the way, yet climate controlled spots for winter storage. Under the kitchen sink, top shelf in the coat closet, or that stupid cabinet above the fridge that you never use because you cant reach it with the fridge in the way.

Mine distintively smells. I can smell it just thinking about the kit. Several others have reported the same.

Double or triple zip lock the bottles somewhere warm. It's worth 55 cents in baggies to get the longevity on your test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine definitely smells, especially the phenol red pH reagent.

If the reagent containers are tightly closed, there should be no smell. I never smelled my kit unless a container (usually the powder) was open.

Mine smelled the day I received it. Even through the shipping box. Just a chemical smell

I opened it yesterday and thought it must have faded because it wasn’t noticeable , (haven’t opened it for months) but just walking by it today in the garage is very strong. I do have an extremely sensitive nose

I ordered and began using the Taylor k2006c at the end of last season . Need to start testing tomorrow.
Are opened/ used bottles still good?
As well as the unopened ?

She was a little pricey so I’m hoping the answer is yes 🤞

*Stored in attached but not heated garage when not in use
Im guilty of not getting refills when I should. My longest stint was 3 years. The only reagents that went bad on me were the colored reagents for TA and for CH. Taylor says their reagents are good for 2 yrs from date of manufacture.

Reactions: Badpoolmom
Normally I stick my arm in about elbow deep, in my “deep” area , for test sample (in a cup or jar) is this the proper way ?
My water is so funky right now is it safe to do so?

Normally I stick my arm in about elbow deep, in my “deep” area , for test sample (in a cup or jar) is this the proper way ?
Yes, as long as the pump has been running for 30-ish minutes prior to pulling a sample.
Just rinse/wash your arm immediately after if the pool water is funky.
Be sure NOT to use glass anywhere near the pool.

1. Most Taylor chemistry has an expiration date. generally around a year from manufacture.

2. TFTestkits warrants all chemistry for one year from date of purchase.

We all know you can often get more use than that but after one year, it's about time to get new reagents.

There is no chemistry smell in the rooms where the TFP kits are put together or where the chemistry is processed or stored.

"Never" is a careless word sometimes but I would say it is valid in this case. The reagents "never" smell during assembly. If you have a Taylor or TFP kit that smells, I suggest you had or have a leak somewhere inside the kit.

This will keep your arm are out of the cold or suspect pool water. I use an empty Gatorade bottle with the reach tool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support