Test kit out for delivery! - first post

No eternal admiration for me dangit! :)

If you would post some dimensions and general shape/description/depths of your pool, we could check your volume figures and see if you might've overlooked something. You might wish to consider partial drain/refills to help alleviate some of the temperature loss a larger drain would have. It would require more water than a one time drain/refill but its an option.

Hmm, incremental refills is an idea. I used the oblong option on this volume calulator. LD=18, SD=16, Length=31, Depth=3-7. That's gives 17.8K but the trick is the big step (what is that called anyway?) that makes an extra bubble out the side of the "bean" shape that's not accounted for and definitely throws off the average depth. I've attached a fuzzy satellite picture to show the shape.

Attachments

• 1-stPool.jpg
    1-stPool.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 29
You could treat that little area like it's own pool and calculate it on it's own. Also, (me personally) would like a few more measurements because that would give you a more accurate average. You can use this formula and should give you a good idea. For instance, I would take a few more measurements than just two on the width and divide by how many measurements you take. It may be overkill, but that's how I would do it.

(Deep End + Shallow End) / 2 = Average Depth
(Width A + Width B + Width C + ...) / (number of measurements) = Average Width
Average Depth x Length x Average Width x 7.48 = Volume in Gallons

htownjeeper said:
You could treat that little area like it's own pool and calculate it on it's own. Also, (me personally) would like a few more measurements because that would give you a more accurate average. You can use this formula and should give you a good idea. For instance, I would take a few more measurements than just two on the width and divide by how many measurements you take. It may be overkill, but that's how I would do it.

(Deep End + Shallow End) / 2 = Average Depth
(Width A + Width B + Width C + ...) / (number of measurements) = Average Width
Average Depth x Length x Average Width x 7.48 = Volume in Gallons
I did think about multiple depth measurements but I didn't think about the same for width (duh). How do you account for sloping/curved sides? Just margin of error? Also, I like the separating the step completely idea. Ya'll are full of good ideas!

I think you guys are getting way wrapped around the axle here ... just start with a rough estimate. If 17k seemed too big for your chemical dosing, use 16k next time. And keep adjusting it if you are consistently low/high. There is really not much need to be more accurate than the nearest 1k since none of the dosing needs to be exact anyway.

Ok, day two report.

End of the day FC: 10.5. That's daytime loss of 5. Added 2 jugs of bleach, checked later at FC 21. (I keep forgetting to check CC but the times that I have it's been 0. Maybe .5. I can't really tell if that first drop does something or not.)

This morning FC 17.5 so the second OCLT is 3.5.

I did a mini drain/refill last night so I checked CH just for a ballpark idea of how much got replaced. I did the 10ml test which I realize is not as accurate but that got me 775 +/- 25. I think that means I replaced roughly 5% of that water which should have reduced the CYA to roughly 150. I know that's all ballpark but it means I can lower my target FC by 1. :-D

I should be able to do a bigger mini-drain this afternoon and I'll try to do a real CYA test (full sun!) after that.

Jeetyet said:
BTW, axlewrapping is WAYYYYY under-rated. :p

I might add "axelwrapper" to my sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.