Test kit for color deficient people

Alex36

Oct 14, 2017
Athens,NY
Is there a test kit available for color deficiency people? I have the tf-100 but want to know if there is a digital test kit preferably digital that would give accurate results? Kind of annoying to keep asking my wife and daughter to interpret the results.any insights would be appreciated. Also the pool is used for only a few months. The regents are I believe supposed to be used within a year so then maybe the results are diff when using old regents.

Reactions: WilliamD
Some folks use the LaMotte ColorQ although you need to understand its limitations along with a pH meter and calibration fluids...

Pool Test Kits - LaMotte ColorQ

TF-100 reagents last at least 2 years and sometimes longer if properly stored indoors.

Last edited:
Alex, I was wondering the same thing myself...I chose the ColorQ 7 Pro which I find to be easy to use and very accurate. If your readings are ever out of range...fill solution tube 1/2 pool water and 1/2 DISTILLED water then multiply reading by 2 to get result. As far as calibration...you just use a current pool sample before you start your tests and you are done.....only have to repeat that process if you take waaaaay too long and machine auto shuts off! No other calibration fluids needed nor a PH meter needed for that model. The only extra I purchased was a LSI slide rule for measuring Saturation....All the Best...Bill

Alex, I was wondering the same thing myself...I chose the ColorQ 7 Pro which I find to be easy to use and very accurate. If your readings are ever out of range...fill solution tube 1/2 pool water and 1/2 DISTILLED water then multiply reading by 2 to get result. As far as calibration...you just use a current pool sample before you start your tests and you are done.....only have to repeat that process if you take waaaaay too long and machine auto shuts off! No other calibration fluids needed nor a PH meter needed for that model. The only extra I purchased was a LSI slide rule for measuring Saturation....All the Best...Bill
For your "very accurate" comment, how and what are you comparing it to?

Please do not confuse the specificity of the results the ColorQ gives with accuracy. We have had members attempt to use the ColorQ to follow our methods and almost all have abandoned its use due to inaccuracies and inconsistencies.

We even had one member test the same sample of water three times in a row and ended up with three different sets of results.

Here is an example of a ColorQ post:

ColorQ vs TF100

Here is a review where the Color Q was used alongside a TF-100.

Test Kit Comparison

I am not going to beat a dead horse here ....but what model was used? It's easy to just throw things with only partial information out there to skew one's opinion. If I do my color Q 7 and get different results from the TF 100 is the TF 100 right or wrong? Whose to say? Do I knock Taylor and TF's,,,,absolutely not....but the question remains the same...WHAT TEST KIT IS BEST FOR COLOR DEFICIENT PEOPLE!

If I do my color Q 7 and get different results from the TF 100 is the TF 100 right or wrong? Whose to say?
The Taylor reagent based testing will be the correct answer.

The tens/hundreds of thousands of people we have helped have proven the accuracy of the Taylor testing.

But, while you attempted to deflect the question, you did not answer it. How have you proven the accuracy of the ColorQ?

but the question remains the same...WHAT TEST KIT IS BEST FOR COLOR DEFICIENT PEOPLE!

Sadly, there is no perfect test kit for those with color deficiency. The only test that is normally difficult is the pH as it is a color match test. This is why pH meters can be useful in these cases. But again, cleaning and calibration are important.

The other tests are a color shift test and most with difficulty still can see the shift.

With Predjudices and Biases aside I Digress and NOT Deflect as you say....It was tested against a Taylor K-1004 Test Kit (Neighbor uses), a Hannah HI83326, and a Bio lab (don't know model local pool supply uses. All three had different numbers but widest swing between all 3 tested was a .2 in PH 7.2 to 7.4

So now will you answer the gentleman's question.....He didn't ask what is the perfect test kit, but what would be the best test kit to use for someone with color deficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a test kit available for color deficiency people?
Alex, I'm going to offer my own personal opinion so you have something to go on. I've been blind in my right eye for 30 years this July. Last year my left eye started mimicking the same issues my right eye did, but unlike 30 years ago, we now have eye injections. Yes - a needle in my eye each month. Why am I sharing this since it's not quite the same as being color blind? Well, with my left eye struggling, my color definitions are changing. I'm not totally color blind, but it's not the same as last year and it's getting worse. So for most drop tests, we emphasize that in most reagent cases, it's the shade changing that is most important. Your signature is empty so I don't know what kind of pool you have, but if it's vinyl the CH should hopefully not be an issue unless you have exceptionally hard water or use a ton of cal-hypo. Your TA, FC, CYA, and pH will be most critical. The CYA is focused on the dot, so that shouldn't be an issue. The TA and FC should reveal shade changes when mixing. It's the pH that could prove most challenging. So my recommendation would be having a friend or family member read the pH with you, or try one of the digital meters. There are various ones out there, so there is no one perfect meter. While we don't recommend the pool store, the pH is (or should) be very simple, so you could go there in a pinch, just ignore everything else they say.

As for the test kits in general, you'll always find that we (TFP) recommend the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C equally because of their proven reliability for residential home testing, availability, and reasonable cost. Both provide the necessary "shade" changes someone who is colorblind should recognize. Of course owners are welcome to invest and try the multitude of other kits out there, but we hesitate to offer TFP advice on those other kits (here) because of questionable reliability with some of the tests.

We have several other threads about this discussion. I think the optimal way forward is to practice the FC, TA and CH (if needed) with someone to recognize the color changes. The pH is the odd-ball and I mentioned that one above. Vision is something most people take for granted everyday, so I understand at this point in my life how sensitive the issue is. I'll leave by saying that vision challenges can be met with more than one option and we're happy to discuss those options with all our members. If at some point you find an alternative way to test, please share them with us since we have many members in the same situation. Take care.

Another thing I’d toss out to you is to “test drive” the kit. Take a few minutes and watch the following video. It’s a closeup of the FAS/DPD test being performed against a plain background. See if you can tell the change or not. You may not be able to, and if not let us know and we’ll work from there, but often we’ve found users can.

I have a LaMotte ColorQ 7 that my wife won at a “pool school” raffle from one of the local pool stores back in May. Last year, she won a thermometer with a cute blue fish for a floater!

Anyway, I have used it a few times, and it seems to be very consistent with the Taylor. I don’t take the very specific numbers as gospel, but they have been within 5-10% of the Taylor results.

I don’t use it because I think it is a PITB to use because:

The test tubes demand a 5 ml sample. There is a mark on them, but literally 1-2 drops of water will get you off that mark.

The tubes are very narrow, so to dry them after use, you have to tear up pieces of paper towel and use the plastic plunger that comes with it to force the towel into the tubes, praying it comes back out with the plunger.

The CYA test, while spot on with the Taylor, demands crushing a tablet with the same small plastic plunger. It takes far too much patience for me.

If you hit the cycle button one too many times, you have to power off the machine, recalibrate with a clean sample, and start over.

Of course all of these are first world problems, but I got used to the Taylor first. It’s trusted and the people of this forum trust it. So, if/when I have issues, I can speak a common language.

Personally, I would be fine with using the results from the ColorQ to manage the pool, but I wouldn’t want to actually do the testing.

I wish she would have won a speedstir. That would have been a real catch.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.