Temporary pump swap while waiting for warranty

MDguy

Jun 25, 2022
Central Maryland
My Jandy VS 1.65 hp pump motor died. A replacement motor can't ship until the 21st. We are supposed to have a party over the weekend. Is it fairly straightforward to swap in any pump? I was looking at a cheap who single speed Aquastrong pump from Amazon to get us through the event. Unfortunately I don't have a good picture of the front of the plumbing at the moment.

1000007836.jpg

1000007835.jpg

Here's the motor:
View attachment 572685

Pool is a 18x37', 24k gallon, inground cement pool with a swg and cartridge filter in case that's relevant. I've been using liquid shock to keep up the chlorine. Appreciate any advice.
Would likely require a re-plumb of the system from the suction valve to the filter plumbing.
There is no standard in the position of the inlet and outlet of pool pumps. Also, Jandy unions are proprietary in their threads and the fittings would not likely fit. You might be able to save them, and that check valve, if you do swap pumps, but if not you would need new when the old pump was put back in place.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.

As a follow-up does anyone know the main differences between the 1.65 hp and 1.85 HP flopro models? Is it just the HP? Does the 1.85 swap in easily? Wondering if I'd have any luck pushing for the 1.85 replacement which is in stock with the servicing company.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.

As a follow-up does anyone know the main differences between the 1.65 hp and 1.85 HP flopro models? Is it just the HP? Does the 1.85 swap in easily? Wondering if I'd have any luck pushing for the 1.85 replacement which is in stock with the servicing company.
Difference should only be the motor and impeller. Same pump otherwise. Get the 1.85 if possible. Can run it a little slower, move the same amount of water, use less energy. A better option would be the 2.7, even if you have to pay the difference in cost. You can really slow them down, move the same amount of water, and the energy savings would pay for the extra cost. I wish pump manufacturers would get rid of the smaller horsepower VSP, they're just made to hit a price point that makes people think they are saving money. In the life of the pump the savings aren't really there.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss