Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2021
Longview, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Does anyone have pics of their temporary (or not temporary) pad shelters? I’m trying to get ideas. I’m thinking about framing something I can put up quick for the deep freeze days and take down right after. I had mine wrapped in blankets for the 3 days below freezing and now just leaving one blanket over the pipes with valves for now

Attachments

• IMG_9176.jpeg
    IMG_9176.jpeg
    712.6 KB · Views: 25
A lean-to has worked well for me. Great for protection from the sun, then I wrap everything during hard freezes.

full

full

full

I would exactly build Pat's setup for UV protection. Then in the cold I'd tarp the structure leaving plenty of room for a heater or lamps. (It would probably need side lattuce too)

Not a real good shot, but here is mine live from the camera I have pointed at it... It's 6' Cedar board on board fenced area (built this year) that matches our 8' Cedar board on board fence on the back of the house. When it's real cold, at the suggestion of some here, I have a black tarp that covers the 6'x13'x fenced area with permanent hooks on the fence that match the other black hardware with bungee cords. I have a clamp mounted 150 watt heat bulb that plugs into the aux GFCI outlet on the back of the pad. I also have a home backup generator after the 2021 no power freeze in here in Dallas. All of this is basically new since 2021 + we've redecked new coping and new pebble sheen since the 2021 incident.

I think the only old equipment is the blower for the spa, all 3 pumps are new and controlled by an Aqualink3.
Screenshot 2024-01-20 200616.png

Not a real good shot, but here is mine live from the camera I have pointed at it... It's 6' Cedar board on board fenced area (built this year) that matches our 8' Cedar board on board fence on the back of the house. When it's real cold, at the suggestion of some here, I have a black tarp that covers the 6'x13'x fenced area with permanent hooks on the fence that match the other black hardware with bungee cords. I have a clamp mounted 150 watt heat bulb that plugs into the aux GFCI outlet on the back of the pad. I also have a home backup generator after the 2021 no power freeze in here in Dallas. All of this is basically new since 2021 + we've redecked new coping and new pebble sheen since the 2021 incident.

I think the only old equipment is the blower for the spa, all 3 pumps are new and controlled by an Aqualink3.
View attachment 550882
IMG_20240121_153819074.jpg
Here's my painters tarp with a drop light inside. IMHO, I think a poly tarp would hold more heat from the lamp. At night, I can see the light underneath this.

Reactions: Newdude
View attachment 551071
Here's my painters tarp with a drop light inside. IMHO, I think a poly tarp would hold more heat from the lamp. At night, I can see the light underneath this.

It’s fine. You only need a little bit of excess heat to keep the pipes from freezing. You could add some bricks or stones to the bottom to hold it down to the ground. As long as the air temp inside the blanket hovers around freezing, the water moving in the pipes will not freeze. You just need to be prepared if there is a power outage and have a plan ready for quickly draining all the equipment. The buried plumbing will be fine but the above ground plumbing will freeze up with any moisture inside. The pump, filter and heater are critical to drain. Cracked pipes and valves are easy to fix.

Here's my Spring through Fall temporary/permanent shade sail. I added a second one to the far side as I needed more late shade. All in all, it's about 16 feet off coverage and keeps the equipment covered from 11 to 5 before the sun doors behind the trees.

I share that fence and they're good neighbors but didn't want to do a lean to with them.

Total cost was under $100 and sails should last 3 years. Anchors are stainless steel. I'll replace the sails when rotted. Rating was 96% UV blockage. Let me know if you have any questions. IMG_20230416_122538625.jpg

Reactions: 6XSBChamps
Also, that picture is from April this past year and the sun wasn't at it's highest in the sky like June. I took it down in November and will hang it up in April.

Reactions: 6XSBChamps

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.