Temporary change of pump

jan verbeem

May 26, 2016
Thailand
First of all happy holidays and a prosperous new year to everyone.

My filter pump Hayward Superpump II 1.5Hp has developed a gear shaft leak, so in the mean time until repair I decided to use my Jacuzzi pump instead.

This is a Superpump II 2hp.

I didn't move the pump only the piping.

Where the filter pump had about 3 meters feeding pipe, and 1.5 meter between pump and filter, the 2hp pump has about 1 meter feeding pipe and 4 meter to the filter.

The feeding pipe on the 2hp pump is also at ground level, while the feeding pipe for the filter pump was 1 meter elevated.

Filter is a Hayward 28" with top mounted valve.

Everything working fine, only I notice that where the 1.5hp pump would show a pressure of 10 Bar at the filer, the 2Hp pump has a pressure of 15 Psi

Is this normal occurence because of the increased Hp?

Also there is no air suction, leaks or air bubbles under the pump lid or in the chlorinator cell housing, but yet I hear in the filter valve a constant air noise, quite noticeable actually.

When the filter cycle ends there is no suction sound or an air bubble rising in to the cell housing, and even hours later water levels are still the same.

What the sound in the filer valve could be? I assume if it really was air there would be an air bubble rising in the cell housing as soon as the filer cycle ends.

Also the waste pipe has a closed valve, so there also no air or water can escape.

Thanks in advance for you comments

Last edited:
I discovered that if it close the valve on the filter inlet a little, pressure gauge go down to 10 Psi and sound reduces alo right away.,

Does this mean that the 2hp pump is actually too powerful for my filter, and should I close the valve a little, or isn't that a good idea?

Jan,

I don't fully understand the sound issue, but the pressure increase makes sense to me.. Basically the gauge on the filter measures the amount of effort it takes to force the water through the filter.. The more water your pump tries to push through the filter, the higher the pressure will be.. The amount of water moved is a function of the HP of the pump and the design of the impeller... When you close the input to the filter, you are basically just restricting the amount of water that can flow though the filter, so the filter pressure will go down.

Let's see of one of our other members can understand your noise issue..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jan verbeem
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.