Ferndale, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi, I'm in Michigan and I always close mid October. Last year we eneded up closing Oct 22 and it was horrible. SO many leaves, it was a mess. So I scheduled it for Oct 14 this year. we are having a very warm October. it's been consistently in the mid 70s and even will hit 80 in a few days. My pool won't go lower than 65. it's 67 right now. that's crazy. based on the forecast I don't see it cooling much more than that before closing. a few reasons I'm ready to close: the giant oak tree that hangs over my pool drops more and more every day. My SWG has pooped out and I'm adding chlorine and don't want to buy more. Obviously I don't want a green pool in the spring but I also might be not get a date til late October if I try to reschedule at this point. (I have the pool store close my pool.)

My pool won't go lower than 65. it's 67 right now. that's crazy.
I've always heard that it's best not to close while the water is still fairly warm so as to help inhibit algae growth. I just closed with a water temp of 79. At some point, there are factors (like your tree!) that make it nearly impossible to postpone closing. Here's the thing though....I partially remove my cover during the off-season to check water balance and sometimes adjust pH. That water stays fairly clear most of the winter and early spring; however, as soon as outdoor temps warm up significantly within a few weeks the water starts to turn green. I personally don't think that adding extra algaecide at closing (or possibly even waiting till the pool water temp drops significantly) makes a whole lot of difference. At least that has been my experience wth a mesh cover. Solid cover is probably a different story.

If you’re stuck with closing now be sure to raise to slam level & use the polyquat 60 & then later you can peel back the cover a bit, check the fc level & add some if necessary (u can use a brush or a submersible pump depending upon the amount needed).
Be sure to get your opening booked for earlier rather than later to prevent a green monster.

I've always heard that it's best not to close while the water is still fairly warm so as to help inhibit algae growth. I just closed with a water temp of 79. At some point, there are factors (like your tree!) that make it nearly impossible to postpone closing. Here's the thing though....I partially remove my cover during the off-season to check water balance and sometimes adjust pH. That water stays fairly clear most of the winter and early spring; however, as soon as outdoor temps warm up significantly within a few weeks the water starts to turn green. I personally don't think that adding extra algaecide at closing (or possibly even waiting till the pool water temp drops significantly) makes a whole lot of difference. At least that has been my experience wth a mesh cover. Solid cover is probably a different story.
Interesting, but I do use a solid cover. I think? It's a tarp cover.

Some tarp style covers have a strip in them as a drain - if yours doesn’t it’s a completely solid cover. This should help.
You can always peek under the cover & get a sample periodically through the winter (before the freeze) to be sure u still have fc & add some if necessary (pour slowly & brush it well or use a submersible pump to circulate) I do this to ensure no green monster at opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.