??? Teflon tape or paste

TiminNJ

May 26, 2010
Howdy-

I recently installed a new filter and followed all instructions regarding teflon tape and 1 to 1-1/4 turn past hand tight. Tape is approx 6-7 wraps and approx. midway point on threads. Still dripping. This is at all threaded couplings and unions. I siliconed the unions at the o-ring as well.

What's better?? I picked up some NGas teflon tape as it seems thicker? Any ideas?

Thanks to all.

PS. I am signing up to be a TFP supporter tonite as this site saved me alot of $$$$ and is worth it!

TiminNJ

May 26, 2010
Thanks. Now for the stupid question of the day! Is it best to apply halfway up thread to keep it from entering filter as it gets tight? Or does it matter?

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
NY
I use it liberally, any excess will get caught by the filter or vacumed up in the pool. I've had good luck with Oatley's Great White Paste with teflon :goodjob:

jml

Jul 10, 2009
The thicker (and pricier) silicon thread tape from Home Depot works nicely when a liberal application of many wraps of teflon tape is insufficient to stop dripping connectors.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Use the paste on the larger pipes and apply it so it evenly covers the entire length of the threads, wipe off the excess after you have tightened the joint.

tmyers

Apr 10, 2010
Western North Carolina
Always use paste on larger schedule 40 and PVC. The threads are form molded and not cut with a die. Use tape on small metal fittings. Just a side note... Old school plumbers use to use rope in the threads of cast iron to keep them from leaking because the threads were so sloppy.

erock14

May 23, 2010
union beach n.j.
you know, i thought that only happened to me, all my thread in adapters leaked to. i asked a guy at lowes once where the teflon tape was, and he said for what, and i told him, and his reply was, YOU DONT NEED TAPE FOR PVC, ONLY METAL. and so it turns out not only do you need tape, it doesnt even work w/ tape. i threaded them in all the way and still leaked, so yeah paste is the only way to go, but nobdy tells you that. i just had to chime in on this thread cause i found it amusing, cause it happened to me to. and im so glad i found this site, for the abundance of information thats here