Tear in new liner, small amount of rust visible

jason98

Jan 24, 2021
SC
Just had a new inground salt water 16x36 pool installed in November. Finally getting around to opening it up now that the weather is getting warmer. I noticed a small tear in the liner on the edge of one of the full end stairs. The tear even has a small amount of rust that is visible. If I run my hand over the edge of this pool stair I feel there's a small dent so I know it was an installation error, nothing I would have done, we haven't even swam in it yet. Pool installer is coming back out today to look. Since this is a brand new pool & liner what do you think is an acceptable resolution? Replace the entire liner with a new one? Remove the liner so they can mitigate the rust spot? Or simply patch it? Who should pay for all the water if the pool is drained and chemicals we've invested in?

Thanks for any suggestions and assistance!

Attachments

• IMG-0620.jpg
    IMG-0620.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-0619.jpg
    IMG-0619.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 23
Welcome to TFP.

If the tear was not there when you closed the pool I don't know how you can hold the installer responsible for it. Tears is one of the risks you take on with a liner pool.

It is all a negotiation and anything the installer gives you is because he is a good guy.

I think the remediation is to lower the water to below the tear, put some rust neutralizer on the areas you can reach, and put a patch on the tear.

@jimmythegreek WWYD (What Would You do?)

i assume this is a liner over the steps? I wonder if you can patch the entire tread and riser (so there is no exposed edge to the patch)

I cant really tell where it is in relation to steps. Regardless if it's less than a year old its warrantied if the PB is a standup company. We borrow water bags amd store the water on site for something like this unless theres city water available

Reactions: Leebo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.