Teal Water

firedrop

Mar 16, 2019
pa
I've been fighting teal water now for almost 3 weeks. I've slammed repeatedly with zero luck. Took my water to the pool store and they said my Copper is too high and reccomend a $50 product.
I can see halfway down then beyond that, visibility is gone.I did use an algaecide last fall when closing. City water, no heater. Shouls I just drain and refill?

Free Chlorine 4.56
Total Chlorine 5.98
Combined Chlorine 1.42
pH 7.5
Alkalinity 75
Cyanuric Acid 85
Iron .50
Copper .50
Phosphate 640

Have you been at a FC of 35 ppm for your SLAM? You show you have test kits that can provide your own test data.

If you have been adding copper regularly then it is time to change out the water.

Yes, I held it for about a week and a half at about 40 ppm before I decided that I needed it tested for the teal color. Should I give it another round of slamming or take out some water? How much water should I remove?

IF you believe the copper level you should drain. Have you been adding alot of copper containing products?

You can drain down to leaving 12-18" of water in the pool and refill. Watch for your liner moving and stop if it does.

One bottle of algaecide would not put that level of copper in your pool.
Do you use tablets, shock powder, etc with the word Blue in their name?

The algaecide had the word blue in it. :( I haven't been able to use liquid chlorine (every single Walmart locally is out) and we can't find bleach. I've been using a powered shock and tabbed chlorine from the pool store this year. Super shock and algaecide shock.

Well, you need to drain to lower the CYA anyway. I suspect the powdered 'shock' had copper in it.

Seems like most everyone is able to find liquid chlorine. Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, farm stores, etc. Other option, if the CH of your water is low, is to use cal hypo. Plain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Never mind, I see in your sig. I would round that up to 30 and don’t add any more, for now.

You should be testing FC and adding enough plain liquid chlorine (or cal hypo) to get to 12 FC, several times daily. Can you post a photo of your water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.