Taylor test instructions

Hayseed

Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Keyser, WV
I am trying to understand the instructions on the test kit. Taylor k2006c. The testing instructions for FC and cc, are confusing. 1 drop = .02. Use 25 ml. Sample for 1drop = .5 use 10ml. Is this just giving me a choice as to which amount of water I want to use to conduct the test. If so which is the better method I would assume more is better.

Yes, it is a choice.
Just use 10ml so each drop is 0.5ppm. That is precise enough and will save your reagents.

Note if you you 25ml of water, then each drop is 0.2ppm (not .02 like you posted).

Thank you too too much. I ran the test as I a though was right. First test result for FC 54. When told to add five drops of r-0003, after doing so sample did not turn pink so I could not continue, something I did wrong? Need to know something that may be common knowledge to everyone except me. When running the test the water turned clear, first part of test, while top of water and very bottom of water still appeared to be pink. Is this usual or do I add until top bottom and body of water are completely clear?

The sample staying clear when the R-0003 is added means CC is 0, which is ideal.

Are you swirling the sample while adding all the drops? The color should be uniform. This is why the SpeedStir is so handy.
Did you really add 108 drops?

Within reason, you can't use too much powder, but too little can cause difficulty reading the end point.

For 10ml, at normal maintenance FC levels, 1 scoop is plenty. At high shock levels, you might need 2 scoops.

The way I read your test results, it sounds like you were not mixing/swirling the water sample.

My instructions listed here says to use two dippers, no mention of lessening the amount. I will try again. The video on tf100 test kit, how dies this relate, I don't have that test kit. Do you have a video using the Taylor test kit? Thanks guys. I noticed the sample did not turn pink, but last test run I let the solution sit, unintentionally for 3 to 4 minutes, it did over that time turn lite pink. Last test with 10 ml water, one dipper r0870, 8 drops turned clear, 5 drops r0003, stayed clear. 8 x 3 = 24. Is this the FC number? Seems low for 10’000 gal pool, but not sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wait.
Describe exactly what you did.

You added 2 scoops of powder and the water stayed clear?
Then walked away and came back and it was slightly pink (that is normal).
So then added 104 drops? Or was the walking away after adding the R-0003?

Where is the 104 drops coming from? I read back through and did not find this, in my posting. It might be there I am just tired, and will continue this tomorrow. Thanks for your help. After watching the posted video I hope to be able to understand better. I understand the relation between the two test now, but when I saw the numbers were all different, I thought this won't work. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

You are the 2nd person in the last week to think you are supposed to multiple by 3 ... that is not what the instructions say. It says Step 3, then multiply by either 0.5 or 0.2 depending on how much water you used.

So your FC is 9ppm if you used 10ml or 3.6ppm if you used 25ml of water.

Thanks Jason for pointing that out to me. I do see it now, and wonder why I saw it as x's 3. No sense being stupid unless you prove it once in awhile. And I have plenty of proofs. Thanks again. Thanks Tex for the Taylor link.

Is knowing the exact or almost exact number of gallons of water in your pool, crucial in examining and understanding testing results? If it is, I am having one ell of a time trying to find the correct information on my pool. I have tried three different methods from three different places, and received three different answers. One was 9,200, one was 10,295, and the last method came out as 12,295. Can you guys tell me the best method to figure this out, once and for all. The last calculator method I used was length times width times depth times eight. For an oval pool. Thanks again

Is knowing the exact or almost exact number of gallons of water in your pool, crucial in examining and understanding testing results?
It helps, but doesn't have to be "exact". Once you use various methods to get your estimated gallon size in the ballpark (i.e. owners manual, PoolMath tool, etc), then you begin to see a pattern when adding chemicals.

For example, let's say in PoolMath you enter your pool size as 10K, and you add the appropriate amount of bleach/chlorine to increase the FC from 4-7. Then you check an hour later and find the FC to only to be 5. That could mean your pool is actually larger than 10K. Conversely, if you added bleach and it went much higher than an FC of 7, your pool is actually smaller. You can use that same method in PoolMath with other adjustments like TA, pH, etc. The more you dose the pool following the PoolMath tool and results after dosing, you'll begin to see a pattern and can adjust your pool size accordingly.

In the pool math calculator, I notice the goals are at the top in the heading. But why are there two blank boxes, I assumed one of these boxes was for me to add my test findings. But what exactly is to go in the other blank box? I thought I understood this chart, but I'm guessing now I do not. I entered my amounts I got from testing , and pressed calculate. Came up with having to add 21 oz. 10 trade % bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.