Taylor Speedstir Review

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello All,
So I've taken the plunge and purchased the Taylor Speedstir to utilize my with my test kit. Used it for the first time today here's my impression and review.
First and foremost, it's a nifty addition to the test kit and it makes me feel geekier than I already am with my test kit!

The bar stirrer takes up about 1.5 ml of space. I measured the water first then added the bar stirrer, 10ml went to 11.5 (their are markings on the clear tube that comes with the kit).
Yes the bar stirrer does fit in the test tube that comes with the K-2006, it's tight but does work.

I did use the stirrer when doing the drop borate test, and water did not come out of the test tube, but it sure made doing that test easier. Actually it makes all the test easier, instead of drops, swirl, drops, swirl, just put in the water, the bar stirrer, turn it on, start adding drops.. Viola!

It it required, nope, but if you've got an extra $35 bucks that you want to spend, it's a geeky tool, that makes testing a bit easier.

Oh, remember don't toss out the magnetic stir bar, when you pour out the solutions.

5/5 stars.. huge geek factor!

Reactions: Ignoramus
Actually it makes all the test easier, instead of drops, swirl, drops, swirl, just put in the water, the bar stirrer, turn it on, start adding drops.. Viola!
Viola? I took viola lessons as a child. I was traumatized because they ran out of violins before they got to me, and handed me that big ole viola. It was like being handed a tuba instead of a clarinet. :poke:LOL

Oh, remember don't toss out the magnetic stir bar, when you pour out the solutions.
Oh yeahhhhhh.... done that a time or two and never found 'em in the grass! Now I order extra and keep one for each testing tube.

5/5 stars.. huge geek factor!

Yeah it is :)

I actually have two speedstir's so I guess that makes me doubly-geeky :crazy: However, I do have one complaint - I wish they'd either slow down the spinner or give you a variable-speed selection. I find the SS works a lot better when the batteries are a little used; fresh batteries make the spinner go way too fast and it can actually make 10mL samples harder to see. I was actually going to look at a chemistry supply store and see if I could find some micro-sized stir bars as the one that comes with the unit is really too fat. It would be better if the stir bar was about half its current diameter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are a number of different sized ones available through smile.amazon.com :)

I just ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday. I'm rocking Amazon Smile. Already got $5.50 donated this year. Lee's going to take his kids to Dairy Queen for sundae's ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got me beat, I'm at $4.48 so far. He can get one too!

I remember the first time I used the TF-100 and without a speedstir.

Getting dark out, had the kit out on the deck by the pool, mosquitos buzzing
around and eating me alive while I was trying to do water tests on my first
home with a pool.

Then I realized i could just test inside and i did get the speedstir immediately
and have been much happier about testing since.

I also love the speedstir. It is great for testing.

My only complaints are:
1) If the vial gets a bit wet on the outside and leaks onto the stirrer mechanism, the vial will actually start spinning along with the stir bar. :)
2) When the batteries get low on power, the stir bar starts acting a bit erratic and jumps around.
3) Emptying solution out without loosing the stir bar is a bit tricky. I may get a small aquarium fish net to strain through to catch the stir bar each time.

Otherwise, it is the "Cat's Meow"!

I just stick my hand into the garbage disposal when I drop the magnet in. As long as my mother-in-law isn't around, I feel safe enough to do that :shock:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Ignoramus

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.