Taylor K2106 In Canada

Reactions: nlitch
Don't mess with Texas! Thank you sir. I don't see the K2106 on either website, but will follow up with them to see if they have 'em in stock. Still trying to figure out the differences between the various Taylor kits, but have been told 2106 is the best for a Bromine based system...

Reactions: Texas Splash
You can also use the K-2006 which is much easier to find in Canada. K-2006 will have extra reagents/tests that aren't in the k-2106 (i.e. stuff that's not needed for Bromine that you can just ignore, like the drops for combined chlorine and CYA). The main difference will be that instead of R-0872 (which comes in the K-2106) you will have R-0871 (which comes in the K-2006). R-0871 is more concentrated then R-0872, so you will need to follow the steps for Free Chlorine, but simply multiply the result by 2.25 at the very end. I have a K-2006 kit even though I have a Bromine spa, working great so far.

You can also use the K-2006 which is much easier to find in Canada. K-2006 will have extra reagents/tests that aren't in the k-2106 (i.e. stuff that's not needed for Bromine that you can just ignore, like the drops for combined chlorine and CYA). The main difference will be that instead of R-0872 (which comes in the K-2106) you will have R-0871 (which comes in the K-2006). R-0871 is more concentrated then R-0872, so you will need to follow the steps for Free Chlorine, but simply multiply the result by 2.25 at the very end. I have a K-2006 kit even though I have a Bromine spa, working great so far.

Thanks for this option. So effectively, you'll have some extra stuff that you just don't need. I suppose when you replace the R0871 you can just get the "correct" R0872? The "comparator" and other parts are all interchangeable? Where is the best place to order replacement items for these kits?

Yes, you can replace the R0871 with R0872 when you need. The other chemicals are the same, all of the other parts of the kit are also the same (i.e. the one colour comparison tube thing is identical). Anyway, you don't use the colour comparison thing for chlorine or bromine, you only use it for PH. The only difference is that one chemical I mentioned is different concentration (hence the 2.25 multiplier for Bromine), and you get "extra" stuff in the K-2006 that isn't in the K2106.

You can *maybe* buy the reagents at a local store in your nearest big city (call around). For example, in Ottawa the 2nd place I called actually can get any Taylor stuff in, because they order some of these kits for their contractors and often order in fresh replacement reagents.

You can also just get it online, i.e. here is a bottle of the bigger 2OZ size (50$) and the 0.75OZ size is usually 25$ or so in Canada:

It's so expensive in Canada however. 50$ CAD for 2oz bottle, in the USA you could buy that same bottle for 12$ US. :(. From what I understand there is only one official Canadian distributor (Lowry and Associates) and since they are the only ones importing this stuff from Taylor, they have decided to charge very high prices. Then they resell to all of the other Canadian resellers. So the high price gets passed along. Texas Splash also linked a few places above that sell Taylor stuff, most places that sell the kits probably sell Reagents as well.

Finally, the best would be if every you go to the USA for anything (once this pandemic is settled), bring back some reagents with you since they are way cheaper. If you search enough you can find stuff being shipped in directly from the USA at much better prices, but then they kill you on the huge shipping charges.\

Yes, you can replace the R0871 with R0872 when you need. The other chemicals are the same, all of the other parts of the kit are also the same (i.e. the one colour comparison tube thing is identical). Anyway, you don't use the colour comparison thing for chlorine or bromine, you only use it for PH. The only difference is that one chemical I mentioned is different concentration (hence the 2.25 multiplier for Bromine), and you get "extra" stuff in the K-2006 that isn't in the K2106.

Finally, the best would be if every you go to the USA for anything (once this pandemic is settled), bring back some reagents with you since they are way cheaper. If you search enough you can find stuff being shipped in directly from the USA at much better prices, but then they kill you on the huge shipping charges.\

Awesome. Thanks again for your thoughts. Ya the 1.42 USDCAD doesn't make it any easier to ship in stuff from the states ATM either.

It seems walmart.ca sells the Taylor kits - however they appear to be via a third party. shipping is not free, and adds a chunk to the cost. However it is an option if you're in need of a kit.

Also Discounters Pool and Spa sells them - again much more expensive than they "should" be though.

Last edited:
@nlitch where did you end up ordering your kit from? I'm also in Calgary, recently placed an order on TFTestKits (couple days ago) and just shipped it to my montanamailbox address. Will see how much it costs me to bring over the border via DYKpost (they do a pickup / clearance service here in yyc), for the cost it should be about $30 i think. But always good to find other people in the city who may have regents! ;;)

This 2.25 multiplier really confused me at first and from what I've researched online it's confused a lot of people. In my own testing the R-0871 and R-0872 gave similar drop results, definitely not a difference factor of 2.25. After more research I discovered that the reason for my confusion was that the testing instructions are different for the K-2006 and K-2106 kits:

The K-2006 instructions for R-0871 with chlorine is: 1 drop = 0.2 ppm in 25mL sample, 1 drop = 0.5 ppm in 10mL sample.

The K-2106 instruction for R-0872 with bromine is: 1 drop = 0.5 ppm in 25mL sample, 1 drop = 1.25 ppm in 10mL sample.

Therefore, if you are using R-0871 with bromine, you need to use the chlorine instructions (not bromine) and then multiply by 2.25. This was the confusing part for me because I originally bought the K-2106 bromine kit so I didn't have the chlorine testing instructions when I bought the R-0871 refill bottle to replace my R-0872. (I bought R-0871 because it was way cheaper in Canada.) From my tests and from the instructions above it's clear that the two reagents are actually very close in concentration. Multiplying 0.2 ppm (chlorine) x 2.25 = 0.45 ppm per drop for bromine compared to 0.5 ppm (bromine) per drop with R-0872. This is a difference of 10% in the results.

Since there is only a 10% difference in concentration, for my purposes testing my hot tub, I'm just going to use R-0871 and R-0872 interchangeably and not worry about the small difference!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.