Tarp method in-place water replacement

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
The only other source would be to check your external plumbing. It is a very commonly made mistake by plumbers to attach cheap galvanized steel pipe nipples to make connections through a wall between brass fittings and brass spigots. I found a number of these in my own home. Whenever galvanized pipe is in contact with brass, the galvanized pipe will corrode due to the formation of a galvanic couple. Grounding is not necessary for the corrosion to happen and pipe tape doesn’t prevent it either. It’s a shortcut that is often used because galvanized pipe comes pre-threaded in various lengths (1”, 3”, etc) so its easy to use. It’s a lazy choice and against good plumbing practice but it gets done all the time. Usually a homeowner finds it when the galvanized finally gives way and there’s a huge leak.

Maybe look at your external plumbing and see if it’s ok.

carlos31820

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 22, 2010
Midland, Georgia
Quick update to say there is no hint of metal stains after replacing the water. It’s been a full month since the water was replaced.

I should have done this years ago. Iron stains started 7 years ago. The past 3 years were the worst. 3 years of having to add Metal Magic weekly only to see the stains return every week.

I had replaced water in the past but in hindsight, I guess I didn’t replace enough water to dilute the iron concentration. Anyway, not claiming victory yet but feeling very optimistic to not have stains after a month without adding any Metal Magic.

IMG_5781.jpeg

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
When you were using your SWG, who originally added salt to the pool and what brand were you using ?

it’s very odd that you never located the iron source.

carlos31820

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 22, 2010
Midland, Georgia
When the pool was built the salt was added by the builder. I can’t remember what brand he used but his pool store sold AquaSalt.

Over the years I mostly used AquaSalt but remember using Morton pool salt and maybe even the dreaded Clorox brand once.