tanning ledge sizes

I'm not as tall as my deep end, not sure why that is a concern. I love my deep end, and like to swim down there. So do the kids. I usually enter the pool with a dive into my deep end. Personal preference.

I have a bench in the deep end. I didn't realize that might have been a requirement for my 7.5' deep end. I like it. I sit out there when the littles are going crazy in their little end. Like my oasis! They use it as a resting spot when they're going crazy in the deep end. They go crazy a lot. So far no issues about jumping near it. I do like that extra step idea. I'm getting to the age where getting out using that bench is starting to be a challenge. I think maybe the gunite is sinking over there, not sure what's going on. 👴

Hi! I'm tryin to design a tanning ledge for my pool and I have no idea what tanning ledge sizes look like. I don't want it for completely laying down and sun bathing. Ours would be for our little ones to sit on with the bubblers and take a break or for mama to relax sitting up with friends. My husband doesn't want to take away from the square footage of the pool too much so he's okay with a 4 ft semi circle in a groove the builder put in. The builder said he usually does 6 ft but would be ok doing a 5 ft 2 in but wouldn't recommend anything smaller. What are your thoughts? Could you post pics of your tanning ledge with the size of it pls so I can get a visual. Thank you for your help!
Ours is going to be 14 x 6 with an 8 inch depth

Attachments

• 439413F3-83D3-4C42-9F71-77AC00296C77.jpeg
    439413F3-83D3-4C42-9F71-77AC00296C77.jpeg
    664.2 KB · Views: 48
Our ledge is 8ft x 11.5ft at it's widest points. Obviously still under construction, but my wife really wanted the ledge. It was planned as 9ft, but once the excavation was done, I made a change and shortened it by 1ft. She actually wanted to be able to fit 4 lounge chairs in it, but we settled on 2, or possibly 3 (a bit tight though).

1596932709619.png

1596932813946.png

I think how you plan it, and lay it out with respect to the house and yard, also plays a big factor. For our situation, I think it's a nice touch, as when you walk out of our back door, the tanning ledge is pretty much right there. I like the way the space flows with it, if that makes sense.

Here is the PB's rendering of the design

1596933030453.png

Reactions: gregfl2001
I do like that extra step idea. I'm getting to the age where getting out using that bench is starting to be a challenge.

*EDIT* ... Ooops ... I just realized you're talking about a step inside the pool, to make it easier to get from the bench, up onto the coping ... My mistake :oops:

I had the same thought during our build, so I added a large step on the outside of the pool, right by the deep end bench. The skimmer and waterfall kind of created a natural place to do it as well.

For us, it'll be multi-purpose .... easier egress from the deep-end, but also the 1st step up to climbing the waterfall for cannonballs :) And could serve as a nice place to just sit and rest. Will probably make a good spot for family pictures too :)

We're going to add a flagstone patio at ground level, stretching from the large step, going to the right of this picture, back around and meeting another step, which leads up to the sundek decking between the house and the tanning ledge. So kind of a terraced feel between the Sundek and flagstone patio.

I can see the kids using this deep-end step to climb up onto the waterfall (I asked the mason to strategically position some of the boulders to be natural steps), cannonball in the deep end, swim to the tanning ledge, climb out, run across the sundek, down the deck step, to the flagstone patio, and back across to the deep-end step and waterfall to jump again .... round and round they go! LOL

1596933526423.png

Last edited:
Here is our deep end step out...LOVE IT! 1) we feel it's a nice safety measure to have a place for young kids to easily get to/hold on to in the deep end and 2) when the kids are doing the endless jump in, get out, jump in, get out circle...they are staying at that end of the pool. No coming to the shallow end to get out (where the smaller kids and lounging adults are hanging out). So glad we have it!
1596938108762.png

Reactions: Dirk
You are similar to my wife. She wanted a big tanning ledge as she is more of a tanner/hot tub user and I wanted a long pool for swimming. Our tanning ledge is 7x9 and hot tub is 6x9. Posting the design for your ideas. There are 2 matching benches/steps on both sides of the hot tub to get out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200804-215815.png
    Screenshot_20200804-215815.png
    882.6 KB · Views: 37
Our tanning ledge is 6ft’ 6in X 11. It’s big enough for 2 loungers, umbrella and 2 bubblers. My wife and I enjoy sitting and reading before the kids take over the pool for the day!

Attachments

• C45880A3-9954-46AE-A93C-2CA525564F56.jpeg
    C45880A3-9954-46AE-A93C-2CA525564F56.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 69
Our tanning ledge is 6ft’ 6in X 11. It’s big enough for 2 loungers, umbrella and 2 bubblers. My wife and I enjoy sitting and reading before the kids take over the pool for the day!
Looks fabulous! I have a couple questions for you! How deep is your shelf and what do you have for your decking? It looks like Sundek. If it is Sundek, what color is it? :giggle: Thanks

Looks fabulous! I have a couple questions for you! How deep is your shelf and what do you have for your decking? It looks like Sundek. If it is Sundek, what color is it? :giggle: Thanks

Thank you! The coating on our decking is SGM Spray Deck (similiar I would think to Sundek) and the color is silver. The tanning ledge to the top of the coping is 11in however, the water is around 6.5in deep.

Reactions: TexasRain

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I consider our ledge to be small at 5 x 12 semi circle. Granted, the steps take up a considerable portion. Ironically, our “tannng” ledge is the only portion of the pool that never sees the sun. ☺️ It’s kind of hard to see in the picture below due to the shade. We don’t really use it much, but we also don’t miss the space. We’re considering lounges for that spot.
View attachment 156389
That is a gorgeous finish-can you tell me what it is? (Sorry to hijack the post)

That is a gorgeous finish-can you tell me what it is?
Thanks! I don’t have exact finish, as it’s been 13 years. Coping is Oklahoma flagstone and tile is brown with blues and grays. Decking is exposed aggregate. Spa is stacked stone with blue stacked slate for the waterfall. Pebble Sheen is dark blue, but I don’t recall the name. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.