Tanning Ledge- Any regrets? Pictures attached

ash_leigh

Jun 3, 2019
Indiana
Hi all! We are trying to finish up our pool design.... and cannot decide on the tanning ledge size... for those of you that have a tanning ledge- Do you have any regrets? Too big? Too small? Shouldn’t have done at all? I am considering 3 options (pictures below).
Option 1- Half tanning ledge, half stairs. 1 bubbler.
Option 2- BIG and L shaped (I have steps in the retaining wall right behind the small part of the L that lead up to house, those are not pictured) 4 bubblers.
Option 3- tanning ledge all the way across the shallow end . With 3 bubblers. 8x18

I am leaning towards option one so I don’t take up too much room... but maybe I need more room?

Pool size- 18x40 3.5 shallow end to 5 ft deep end with slide.

3 kids- age 4,7 and 8.

Any regrets? Thanks for your help!
Ashleigh

Attachments

• 46C811B7-0B51-4FCE-B7A4-543638E10D40.jpeg
    46C811B7-0B51-4FCE-B7A4-543638E10D40.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 273
  • A2E13A5E-6BEF-4991-8685-F43FC47510F1.jpeg
    A2E13A5E-6BEF-4991-8685-F43FC47510F1.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 272
  • EB0AAD66-3EF2-4098-8182-AD841C9900BB.jpeg
    EB0AAD66-3EF2-4098-8182-AD841C9900BB.jpeg
    527.2 KB · Views: 258
Reactions: mickmurph
Me? I would do the one all the way across BUT only have the top "step" in the two corners of the shelf instead of all the way across. That will allow more room for loungers and chairs.

I would only do one bubbler for the kids to play in. That way you can really control the height and volume. If you get more than one then you cannot have loungers on the shelf as the bubbler will be blocked by them.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: mickmurph
I have a tanning ledge, there are days I wish I didn't have it as my robot can't clean it, but when my 2 year old grandson is here I am glad I have it. He uses it as a kiddie pool and really enjoys it. We had a pool party this past weekend and found the adults enjoyed sitting on it to cool off and hang out with everyone.

Me? I would do the one all the way across BUT only have the top "step" in the two corners of the shelf instead of all the way across. That will allow more room for loungers and chairs.

I would only do one bubbler for the kids to play in. That way you can really control the height and volume. If you get more than one then you cannot have loungers on the shelf as the bubbler will be blocked by them.

Kim:kim:
Thank you Kim! That is a good point... My builder is supposed to come by next week so we can finalize and get started. Stay tuned!

I have a tanning ledge, there are days I wish I didn't have it as my robot can't clean it, but when my 2 year old grandson is here I am glad I have it. He uses it as a kiddie pool and really enjoys it. We had a pool party this past weekend and found the adults enjoyed sitting on it to cool off and hang out with everyone.
Hey! That’s what I’m thinking- it will be a fun hangout for kids and adults. Although.. if we are going to hang out there we need an umbrella. Since I’m doing vinyl... I don’t think I can put a hole there for one. Hmm. Maybe I can find an umbrella stand that’s vinyl friendly... do you have one?

Hey! That’s what I’m thinking- it will be a fun hangout for kids and adults. Although.. if we are going to hang out there we need an umbrella. Since I’m doing vinyl... I don’t think I can put a hole there for one. Hmm. Maybe I can find an umbrella stand that’s vinyl friendly... do you have one?
We have a cantilever umbrella, it sits on the pool deck right next to the tanning ledge. You could also use sail cloth if you have a way to suspend it.

Reactions: ash_leigh
+1 on the tanning ledge and bench. My ledge is pretty small, so it only accommodates one lounger or 2 chairs. I enjoy the bench just as much.

I like your Option 1, as it will give some sitting area on the steps. I would recommend selecting your lounge chairs NOW so you are SURE they will fit!

+1 on the tanning ledge and bench. My ledge is pretty small, so it only accommodates one lounger or 2 chairs. I enjoy the bench just as much.

I like your Option 1, as it will give some sitting area on the steps. I would recommend selecting your lounge chairs NOW so you are SURE they will fit!
I started looking at some chairs yesterday! Not sure if I want a chair or a lounger........ What do you have? Also- Where would you put a bench? I had originally wanted one in the deeper end... but was told I couldn't have one with an automatic cover........

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have Ledge Loungers on my tanning Ledge, we have 2 but it could accommodate 4. We wanted to leave room on the ledge for kids so we opted for 2. We also have 2 small benches in the deep end, but we do not have an automatic cover, we use a solar cover on a reel for when the pool is opened and a safety cover for the winter.

This sounds a lot like our pool. Vinyl liner with tanning ledge with 2 bubblers in shallow end and we do have a hole in the middle for a large umbrella. We were able to have a small seat/ledge installed in the deep end that bumps out from the wall. I would think that you could cap off one of the bubblers if you didn't want to operate both at the same time.

We had another company, not the builder, close our pool for the past few years and they we not fond of vinyl liner pools with tanning ledges, as he said that the liner will eventually pull away from the sides as there may not be enough water pressure to keep the liner flush against the wall in the years to come. His only advise was to be sure we keep the water level high, near the top of the skimmer and to put sand bags around the perimeter in the winter to help prevent the liner from lifting away from the wall where it meets the lounge area.

Last edited:
This sounds a lot like our pool. Vinyl liner with tanning ledge with 2 bubblers in shallow end and we do have a hole in the middle for a large umbrella. We were able to have a small seat/ledge installed in the deep end that bumps out from the wall. I would think that you could cap off one of the bubblers if you didn't want to operate both at the same time.

We had another company, not the builder, close our pool for the past few years and they we not fond of vinyl liner pools with tanning ledges, as he said that the liner will eventually pull away from the sides as there may not be enough water pressure to keep the liner flush against the wall in the years to come. His only advise was to be sure we keep the water level high, near the top of the skimmer and to put sand bags around the perimeter in the winter to help prevent the liner from lifting away from the wall where it meets the lounge area.
Interesting.... have you had any issues with yours?

Interesting.... have you had any issues with yours?
No issues yet. The liner is slighly pulling away from the edge above the tanning ledge compared to when it was brand new. I know the builder had a tough time installing the liner with these features but we are happy with how it turned out. 2019-06-06 17.29.38.jpg

This would be our layout
full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.