Tannin stains - FC and CC levels

AndyTN

Bronze Supporter
Mar 27, 2019
Memphis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Due to having so many oak trees in my back yard, I deal with tannin stains in the Spring and Fall. In Spring, I normally balance the chemicals and get everything cleaned out at open but leave on the winter tarp until the trees stop vomiting into the pool.

Since the kids are out of school and I am trying to entertain them, I have been completely open with the solar cover for a few weeks and brushing/scooping tree bloom debris by the masses. My nemesis of the brownish green tint from tannin has overtaken the pool leading to my wife to start saying "maybe you should call in a local pool guy". The virus lock-down has everyone thinking crazy.

Anyway, I know elevated levels of FC eliminate tannin over time but shouldn't I be seeing any CC's due tannin being organics? I have no CC but deal with these color swings every year and know what it is. Should I be keeping my FC at SLAM level or just under it? My CYA is only 30 right now so it will be easy to get to SLAM but is that necessary with no CC? What FC level would you recommend?

shouldn't I be seeing any CC's due tannin being organics?
Not necessarily. The stains are relatively low in residual product compared to a full-blown algae outbreak. At the same time, you may not need to go to full SLAM level (12) either. Maybe just keep the FC around 8-9 for a few days. That, along with regular brushing, should eventually overtake those stains. Let us know if that doesn't work though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.