Talking myself into a robotic cleaner

Jim_R

Jul 5, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Some background up-front: I have about a 11k gallon pebble tec pool with a SWG. I purchased a small suction-side Poolvergnuegen 4 years ago when I bought the house and it has performed admirably over that time.

I have replaced the vanes and wheels twice, and the hoses once at frustratingly high cost each time.
As of a couple weeks ago, the poor guy stopped cleaning the whole pool, he just spins a 6' diameter circle around the deep end. Both wheels are obviously turning and the suction certainly feels strong. Upon taking it apart, the gears are all starting to get pretty worn. A quick search on Amazon shows I am in for a couple hundred bucks to replace all these worn plastic parts.

Naturally, I figure it is a good time to look at other options.

Since I have a SWG, my pump time is not significantly impacted by my cleaner. The pool gets clean in the time required to maintain appropriate chemistry.

It seems like the potential big selling points for me are:
  • Waterliine cleaning: My Poolvergnuegen never made it halfway up the walls, so a decent amount of manual scrubbing was required. I see youtube clips of dolphins traversing walls with ease and then scrubbing the waterline.
  • Maintenance costs: probably at the inconvenience of dragging the cleaner in and out every few days, it seems like the robots "wear" less than suction cleaners. My $360 Poolvergnuegen has cost at least $500 over the 4 years of use due to the regular wear of the wheels and vanes. If I rebuild again, that will likely jump to $6-700 for 5 years. This is up to the cost of a S200.

So, my questions are centered on these selling points. How well do robots actually clean the waterline (particularly a Dolphin S200/Active 20). How much do you guys budget for replacement parts/maintenance on these robots? I'm guessing if I go the lazy route and leave it in the pool 24/7 running the auto-cycle, I will be in a similar situation of plastic parts wearing out about 5 years in. Is this accurate?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a cheaper way to rebuild a Poolvergnuegen other than piecing together parts off of Amazon?

I'm guessing if I go the lazy route and leave it in the pool 24/7 running the auto-cycle, I will be in a similar situation of plastic parts wearing out about 5 years in. Is this accurate?

Hard to say, my older Dolphin still has its original parts with over a decade of use. My S300 is in great shape (except for a bit of color fading) after 3 years. I don't worry much about replacing parts, the robot is a huge convenience and if it costs me a few hundred in a few years, so be it.

I have Dolphin Triton Plus. It still performs in its 3rd season with no maintenance at all so far other than cleaning after runs. I do not leave it in the pool more than a day and store it in a shady spot under my patio during the season and indoors during winter.
It does clean the waterline and I chose this model since it can make 90 degree turns. I am very happy with the performance since it also runs separately from my pool pump.

for it, have had my pool for some 27 years. Every year would debate getting robotic cleaner, always passed on. Until lasy year, finally got a Dolphin S50. have a AGP. Don't know why I waited so long?

I'm in the same boat as you Jim. I have a nice newer Polaris P39 unit that I inherited with the house/pool. It does an ok job of cleaning and does go up the walls to the waterline, but no scrubbers of course, just pressure cleaning. We've only been in the house a year and the SWG has deteriorated the 3/4" fittings running the cleaner and they have pinhole leaks. Also, the booster pump is leaking a steady fast drip from the volute. I've ordered the Dolphin S200 from local Swim Clear store, so once it arrives I'll plug the lines are remove power from booster pump. I figure I can refresh motor this winter if I get some time to keep it as a backup. The local store will waive the $75 charge for service as long as I own the S200, which is a pretty good deal. Will follow up in a month or so in this forum on my thoughts on the Dolphin unit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.