Taking charge of my rising PH

Rsmith

Apr 29, 2016
Central Md.
I found out this week that my PH rise is due to my SWG more than curing plaster. I am exploring the option of an IntilliPH for next spring. As i was researching this here it occurred to me that running my SWG less would also help. I currently run my pump for 19 hours a day, everyday. 3 hours in the morning at 3000rpm and then 2000 rpm the rest of the day. The SWG is currently set at 29%. If I only run the filter for 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours late afternoon and set SWG to 50-60% would I have less PH rise?

It won't change anything, the same amount of chlorine generation will mean the same amount of aeration.

What is your TA level? A constant pH rising issue is usually caused by the TA level being kept too high.

Hey R !!

How much are you lowering the PH each time. If it wants to be high it will swing back less if you only push it a little. If you drop it to the low 7s thinking it will stay low longer, it will actually rise quicker. Kinda like how hot water freezes faster than cold water if you put them both in the freezer together.

Also, and reason for the high RPMs ? Many get away with 100 RPMs over where the SWG kicks on. For me that was 1100 RPMs and it skimmed/filtered fine.

Hey R !!

How much are you lowering the PH each time. If it wants to be high it will swing back less if you only push it a little. If you drop it to the low 7s thinking it will stay low longer, it will actually rise quicker. Kinda like how hot water freezes faster than cold water if you put them both in the freezer together.

Also, and reason for the high RPMs ? Many get away with 100 RPMs over where the SWG kicks on. For me that was 1100 RPMs and it skimmed/filtered fine.
It gets close to 8, I knock it back to 7.5. add 2-3 cups 3 times a week. I can try a lower RPM.

If the pH is not over 8.0 and the CSI is not over +0.1, then I would leave the pH alone.

If the pH is over 8.0, I would get it down to 8.0 or 7.9.

If the CSI goes above +0.1, then I would lower the pH enough to get the CSI below +0.1.

Reactions: Newdude
Mine liked 8. When I gave up fighting it out of fustration, it stayed there. I’d let it go as high as 8.2 with no ill effects. YMMV of course.

If the pH is not over 8.0 and the CSI is not over +0.1, then I would leave the pH alone.

If the pH is over 8.0, I would get it down to 8.0 or 7.9.

If the CSI goes above +0.1, then I would lower the pH enough to get the CSI below +0.1.
We have a dark plaster pool and i just had a wet acid wash done in the deep end with another scheduled for the shallow end next week. I need to get this under control to keep my finish healthy. I work 60 hours a week so its tough to stay on top of it everyday. I think the intelliph will help a lot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.