coryfavre80

Apr 17, 2020
Northeast Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Wife and I will be leaving Friday am and returning Sunday about 6 pm. This is our 1st year having a pool and We have no one to clean or treat the pool while we are away so I'm looking for a little guidance? I'm currently putting about a gallon of liquid chlorine in it nightly, which puts me between 8-9 on FC. Put a gallon in Friday am before I leave? Would it be best to cover it for 2 days or leave uncovered? June bugs, Japanese beetles and leaves are a daily issue. So I'm looking for advice on how to plan for the weekend.

My last question is the FC numbers I mentioned earlier. The gallon of 10% liquid chlorine at dusk gets me to 8-9, the next am when I test (before sunrise) I'm usually around 5.5-6. In the evening before I treat again I'm usually about 3. From what I've read this is a little high for nightly loss, water is clear. Just keep doing what I'm doing?

Attached are the numbers I took this afternoon, pretty much in line with what I've recorded this summer. I'm testing with TF-100 and speed stir.

Attachments

• 20200713_172806.jpg
    20200713_172806.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200713_172806.jpg
    20200713_172806.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 8
If you're going from 8-9 ppm FC at night to 5.5-6 in the morning, then you have failed the overnight chlorine loss test, which points to algae. You shouldn't be losing more than 1 ppm overnight. Sounds like you need to perform a SLAM after you get back from your trip.

As for your long weekend, I would add enough liquid chlorine to SLAM level. Even better if you have a friend of neighbor who could stop by on Saturday afternoon and pour a gallon of chlorine in for you.

+1. It’s easy enough if you’ve been adding a gallon to find someone to come dump it in, but you know what they say about wanting something done right...... or in this case at all.

I would bring it to SLAM level based onFC/CYA Levels. It will easily buy you the weekend off and nothing gets left to chance that the neighbor remembers or whatnot.

Yes leave it running. It’s no different than being stuck at work while it’s running. Back when people use to ‘go’ to work at least.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.