Take two on my first set of TF100 tests. My chem add plan ok?

Vital Signs

Jul 27, 2020
Portland OR
Ok after a shaky first attempt last week I did the full set of tests again this morning and came up with

pH = 7.3 or 7.4
FC = 2.0
TC = 2.0
CH = 150
TA = 130
CYA = 20

Still a little iffy on my CYA but I did the test multiple times outside in the sunlight so its probably an ok test result.

I think I'm gonna add:
1 gal of 6% bleach...that should get me to a hair over 3.5ppm
50lbs of calcium chloride...I've got about 1/3 left of the 50lb bag the pool guy left on the initial fillup last month. This stuff is just icemelt right? Probably gonna be hard to find a non pool store inexpensive option this time of year
4lbs of dry 98.5% stabilizer. This should get me a little over 30.

And then maybe some washing soda later on after testing depending on how much my pH comes down from adding the CYA

Does this all seem correct? The pool math app is a huge help, just wanted to run it by you guys before I start adding stuff.

I personally would add two gallons of 6%, or 1 gallon of 10 or 12.5% bleach.

Add the calcium you have. As Maddie said, after that, if you wish, you could use Cal Hypo to chlorinate. As much rain as you all get, I suspect you could use cal hypo year around.

With your TA - I would not chemically adjust pH. Use aeration to raise it. Washing Soda raises pH but REALLY raise TA. You do not need that.

Thanks for the tips you guys

Good to know about the aeration instead of washing soda...we're having a couple friends over tomorrow so I'll tell them to splash around...I'm assuming borax would have the same effect on raising TA?

beginner tip from someone who just did my first CYA add the past two weekends (actually, two tips)...

1) split the stabilizer add into smaller batches, you don't want to go over since there's no real way to bring it down other than exchanging some of your water.

2) when you do add it, if you have a waterfall anywhere in the pool, hang it from a skimmer sock in the middle of the waterfall. my pool is much smaller than yours (only 10k gallons) and my CYA add was much smaller (only 40 oz total), but the first weekend i tried adding 20oz CYA in a sock in front of a return and it took literally almost the entire weekend to fully dissolve (from around 8pm saturday til about 10am monday morning). the second half i added the 20 oz in a sock hanging in the middle of my waterfall...started again around 8pm saturday, was gone when i came out sunday morning. so, less than 12 hours total (could have been a lot less, i don't know what point during the night it was completely dissolved)...

20200801_232041-scaled.jpg

IMHO easier and definitely quicker than the water feature trick.

definitely not quicker and certainly not easier either. like i said in my post, i did it both ways (including going out every few hours to squeeze the sock when it was hanging in front of the return).

in front of the return took almost 40 hours including going out to squeeze it every so often.

hanging in the waterfall took less than 12 hours with no squeezing needed.

you can certainly do it either way, but the data suggests hanging it in the waterfall is both easier and faster, not the other way around. unless i was doing something wrong when i had mine in front of the return, lol...or perhaps it's different for each pool. maybe try both ways and see which one works for you...

definitely not quicker and certainly not easier either. like i said in my post, i did it both ways (including going out every few hours to squeeze the sock when it was hanging in front of the return).

in front of the return took almost 40 hours including going out to squeeze it every so often.

hanging in the waterfall took less than 12 hours with no squeezing needed.

you can certainly do it either way, but the data suggests hanging it in the waterfall is both easier and faster, not the other way around. unless i was doing something wrong when i had mine in front of the return, lol...or perhaps it's different for each pool. maybe try both ways and see which one works for you...
Anecdotal of course, but I dissolved 4lbs using the sock method in front of a return within like 2 hours, with lots of squeezing.

Of course, agreed on whatever works best for you!

Reactions: crackers8199

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't have any waterfall feature, mine's a diving style pool circa early 90's (9.5' at deep end) which is why I have so much water (I wish it was 2' more shallow). I might just go the lazy route with the CYA add and use the liquid variety.

I just got done adding the 50lb of calcium chloride....that was a chore...I used the disolve 10 or so lbs in a 5gal bucket and pour around pool and repeat 5 times method....glad that's something that isn't done often

Reactions: crackers8199
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.