Tabs for startup

SteelBlue

Jul 4, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
What would the experts think of this:

Let's say you've drained your pool either partially or completely and refill it. First, you add enough liquid chlorine to bring it to acceptable levels. Then you switch to chorine tabs, which gradually release CYA. When CYA is up to recommended levels you switch back to liquid chlorine. I'm thinking of doing this because it would allow me to use tabs for maybe a couple months after refilling. They are much less work than adding liquid every other day. I live in Phoenix, AZ where (at least in the summer) I have to add chlorine every other day.

Without CYA to buffer the FC from the UV, it would be gone in minutes or hours. Particularly while you are slowly working your way up. Absolutely terrible at 6, let’s say, getting better little by little until 30.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If your pool was 80% smaller your plan might work. At 20K gallons, and in AZ you are wise to get your CYA up to 30ppm minimum ASAP. You then have the option of using Trichlor but have your bleach on hand and test your water for FC often and always stay in the zone for your rising CYA, FC/CYA Levels
Unlike liquid chlorine which raises your FC in 30 minutes, Trichlor tabs must dissolve and the rate is not easy to predict. Tabs also are acidic and will push your pH down. The more you know..... :cheers:

I still have to add acid to my pool every 5 days or so. So the Tricolor tabs would assist with that as well. When I go on vacation, I put three floaters in the pool with three tabs. Amazingly, when I return in 7-10 days, all numbers are good. Just gotta be sure my CYA doesn't get too high. Mostly I use liquid chlorine and muriatic acid for stay-at-home maintenance.

Reactions: Oly
Tabs are only evil when they are used blindly. You are following the protocols nicely.

1). Know where you are
2). Know where you want to be
3). Know what you are adding
4). Know what it will do
5). Watch it do it.
6). Say Holy 🤬 THATs clear water
7). Tweak as necessary

keep doing what you’re doing. :)

I started my refilled pool (well water) after a liner change in early July 2020 using only tabs (or as we call them in hockey-crazed Canada, "pucks") in a full puck feeder running "wide open" and 4 gallons of store bleach. I also do this every spring, as my CYA also shows zero or low levels when starting up in mid-April. I keep the pucks in until the CYA gets to normal range (normally around June 1st), and then empty the feeder and rely on bleach-only for the summer months, unless I am going away for a week or two. After I stop heating the pool (around Oct. 1), I put the pucks back in (on low) until I close (mid to late Oct.) to reduce maintenance. I've never had an issue with this method, but be aware that I live in a much cooler place!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.