TA went UP 30 when adding Muratic Acid to lower 30

I'm trying to get my water better balanced this year then the last and my TA and CH were off. I've been guilty the last 2 ears of focusing on PH, CYA, and CL and letting the rest slide, luckily without too much problems.

My readings yesterday were:

TA=130
CH=80
CL = 8 (I have been adding bleach to SLAM, then plan to raise the CYA and have a Salt Water/CL Generator Pool)
PH=7.2
CYA=0

I wanted to lower the Total Alkalinity to 100, so using the chart in the DPD test kit, I should add 1.5 gal of muratic acid to drop the TA 30 ppm in my 25,000 gal pool..

This morning when I checked, my TA was now 170! It went UP 30 not down 30! I thought I must have misread the chart so I double checked and It does say Muratic Acid to DECREASE.

What the heck happened? Am I going at this correctly? I am getting my PH between 7.2 and 7.6 the working on TA, CH, CYA in that order while doing whatever is needed to keep PH in the 7.2-7.6 range.

Thanks for any insight or help!

Dean

What is the ph now?

Check the bottles to make sure that they were actually acid and what percent.

Also, you don't add that much acid at once, especially if the ph is 7.2. You lower the ph to 7.2, then you wait for the ph to rise and then you lower the ph to 7.2 again.

Adding 1.5 gallons of acid when your ph is already at 7.2 will push your ph way too low.

I would reorder priorities to CYA first. With 0 CYA you are losing all your chlorine every day and it makes the water very harsh. TA would be the last thing I would worry about.

Can you fill out your signature please? Pool type (plaster, vinyl), SWG if applicable, etc.

TA will NOT increase with the addition of muriatic.....it simply doesn't happen.

Rather than beat a dead horse on that subject, why not lower TA the correct way with the acid/aeration method found in Pool School?

I checked it this morning but didnt take those numbers with me to work this morning. :( I'll look again tonight. I seem to remember I was still in the 7's. Makes me wonder more if the "Muratic Acid" bottle was not what it says it was. It was purchased in a 2 pack from Home Deport last year.

Thanks for the reply!

- - - Updated - - -

TA will NOT increase with the addition of muriatic.....it simply doesn't happen.

Rather than beat a dead horse on that subject, why not lower TA the correct way with the acid/aeration method found in Pool School?

Because I read the book in the DPD kit instead of heading over to pool school :( I should have known better. TFP has been a great resource to me and I should have gone there first. I'll get my CYA up a bit and get my PH in line, then aerate..

Thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.