TA high in fiberglass pool with SWG. Do I need to adjust?

JPontius6

Jul 17, 2019
Indiana
Current Test Readings (TF-100 test kit)
FC 4.5
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 100
CH 75 (I know this is low. I will be raising it today)
CYA 75
SALT ~3100

I'm wondering - how important is it to get my TA down, and what do I risk having it at this level?

Also, what is the risk involved in low CH with a fiberglass pool?

Thanks for your help!

Not important. You may see your ph creep up, so just use muratic acid to lower the ph anytime it goes over 7.8. If you target 7.2 when you calculate how much acid to add, over time the SWG which is a source of aeration, will continue to cause the PH to creep up. The muratic acid will help keep it in check, and eventually your TA will also be lowered by the acid until it reaches the recommended range and you'll not see the PH creeping up much at all.

Is this a new pool? How long has the CH been low? It can cause damage to the fiberglass if left unchecked for a long period of time.

Not important. You may see your ph creep up, so just use muratic acid to lower the ph anytime it goes over 7.8. If you target 7.2 when you calculate how much acid to add, over time the SWG which is a source of aeration, will continue to cause the PH to creep up. The muratic acid will help keep it in check, and eventually your TA will also be lowered by the acid until it reaches the recommended range and you'll not see the PH creeping up much at all.

Is this a new pool? How long has the CH been low? It can cause damage to the fiberglass if left unchecked for a long period of time.

Thanks!
Yes, it's a new pool - I finished it last September and winterized it shortly after, so this is really my first season of water-balancing. Your suggestion makes sense - I'll continue to aerate and lower pH as-needed.

And it sounds like you would recommend raising the CH too?

Thanks!
Yes, it's a new pool - I finished it last September and winterized it shortly after, so this is really my first season of water-balancing. Your suggestion makes sense - I'll continue to aerate and lower pH as-needed.

And it sounds like you would recommend raising the CH too?

Yes. At least 200 ppm. :)

Reactions: JPontius6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.